Two Problems....

The Teacher 21:11 30 Apr 04

I have two problems that I need some help with please.

The first is that Windows Update freezes my PC. I can access the site with no problems at all and I get the screen that starts "Windows update is scanning your computer................depending on connection speed this may take upto a minute".

That is fine, except that I get nothing else after that, except a frozen PC. As I have broadband it shouldn't take a minute to scan the PC to find what updates are required. I find that I have to give the three fingered salute and restart my PC. Sometimes, when browsing, I get a message box appear that says something about "WUBoot"?? "WUABoot"??? not being able to work and will close.

The second problem I have is that I have recently tried to install a gamepad (see Helproom post on this) and I was sent the required files to use it. However when I tried to configure it I was referred to Device Manager and a message that said the drivers were not installed. When I tried to use the Install or Update Drivers button I get a message that says "msjstick.drv not found. Installation not complete and will close." There is a little box that says I may need the disk marked "Windows ME" to find the driver.

The only disk I have is a restore disk and I have looked in there for this msjskick.drv file but cannot find it. I have also searched the net, including Microsoft without success.

Can anyone help?

I run WinME.

Thanks

The Teacher

woodchip 21:25 30 Apr 04

I had the same problem with a new comp I bought mid week and did a XP update I had to Ctrl+Alt+Del to get control back it then ran OK

Totally-braindead 21:25 30 Apr 04

I've been able to find that the WUAboot part is something to do with the windows update software, I'm looking to see if I can find anymore info, if I can I'll post back

woodchip 21:27 30 Apr 04

For the Joy stick, Remove the one in Device Manager, If it's a USB plug the new one in and go to Add New Hardware Wizard in control Panel and scan for the Game pad put the disc in if it asks for the disc

britto 21:42 30 Apr 04

are you using the automatic update option?

GaT7 21:47 30 Apr 04

"Windows Update Scan for Updates Stops Responding at 0%" - click here. "Windows XP stops responding when you download updates from Windows Update" - click here (the latter not with your particular errors but worth a look). Good luck, G

GaT7 21:49 30 Apr 04

Sorry, I didn't read the post properly & thought you were running WinXP.

GaT7 21:50 30 Apr 04

The first link is for WinME too.

The Teacher 21:52 30 Apr 04

I have had automatic update set for the Windows update problem and I think there is a fault and that is why I get the message "WUboot"?? as above.

WRT the gamepad, it connects to the joystick port, it is connected correctly and the software for it was sent to me as zip file by another user of the helproom. I unzipped and ran it and then the problem with the msjstick.drv started.

The Teacher 21:54 30 Apr 04

Thanks, Crossbow, but I don't have NetSonic, I don't even know what it is!!

The Teacher

woodchip 21:56 30 Apr 04

Yes but to get your new Joy stick working you need to remove the old one first or the drivers will not have any effect

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…