Two OS & Memory Query

g0nvs 22:24 25 Jan 05

I would like to install a second HDD with Win 98SE as the OS. At present have XP Home & 1gig Ram installed. I have read in this forum somewhere that a limit of 512mb of ram is the max for 98/ME. What would happen if I tried this ? would windows only "see" 512 mb or would Windows refuse to Boot ?
Next question is if I leave existing HDD (Win XP) as master & install 2nd HDD as slave will I get the option of choosing which drive to boot or would I need a third party program to do this ? I know these questions have been asked many times but after searching the PCA archives I am more confused after reading so many threads on this subject.
Many thanks for your help.

alan227 22:41 25 Jan 05

From what I remember you have to have 98 installed before XP to duel boot.
Although I stand to be corrected on this.

Jeffers22 22:50 25 Jan 05

If you try to install Win98 with more than 512Mb RAM the PC will shut itself down after installing files and rebooting and complain - believe it or not - that there is "not enough memory"

The solution is to either:

1. Open the PC and remove half the RAM while you install and then change the boot.ini file in \Windows (98 system) with the following

add to [386Enh]:
PagingDrive=C:
MaxPhysPage=1FFFF

[vcache]
MinFileCache=16384
MaxFileCache=65536

Then replace the RAM and Bob is your uncle.

2. Start the Win 98 install and when it bombs, boot with a floppy and copy the above lines into the win.ini that is in the \Windows folder of the drive you are trying to install to. Then reboot into the Win98 system and you should get to a desktop.

Jeffers22 22:52 25 Jan 05

Yes, I think alan227 may well be correct. I run HyperOs so did not have any problem with the order of system installation (I have 95, 98, ME and XP pro all on the same machine)

Carpigiani 22:59 25 Jan 05

Microsoft agrees with alan227 about loading 98 before XP click here click here

Totally-braindead 23:20 25 Jan 05

You could do what I did, I have a second hard drive and simply disconnected the first drive that had XP on it and made the second drive master temporarily, installed 98 on it, then installed the motherboard drivers graphics card etc. Connected the first drive up as master again and the second drive as slave and now I have a dual boot system, Win XP on IDE0 and Win98 on IDE1. In order to access it you have to go into the BIOS unfortunatly in order to change the boot order, if I want XP I set IDE0 as the boot drive if I want to run 98 I set IDE1 as the boot drive. Regarding the memory I don't know as I've only got 512mb.

temp003 07:01 26 Jan 05

Alternatively, install 98 separately as suggested by Totally-braindead. Reconnect XP hdd as master, 98 hdd as slave, boot into XP, and install OSL2000. click here

Dowload, unzip, get a floppy ready, then double click setup.exe. When asked whether to create uninstall disk, do so and insert floppy. After installation, restart, and you will get a table of partitions on your computer. Choose the partition to boot from.

On 98 memory limit, either try Jeffers22's suggestion (I think he means the system.ini file? - not sure), or try Cacheman click here or the unofficial service pack for 98SE click here

g0nvs 19:00 26 Jan 05

Many thanks to all who responded to my questions. Everything seems a lot clearer now, again many thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…