Two operating systems on startup, which to delete?

s4wrs 16:36 07 Oct 05

Further to posting nicely answered by 'Powerless' in February 05! Have just (I thought) reinstalled my Windows xp, but on boot up discovered I now have two versions installed!
Given that I attempted reinstall because my system had become unstable and took ages to boot up, I am not too sure I have achieved my objective!

Anyway, I was ever so pleased to see your answer to Jono, showing how to delete the 'non-default' OS. But I cannot make up my mind which OS is correct and which to delete.

Here is a dump of my boot.ini. Any clues please? Many thanks David
PS Have already posted this question to the end of the previous thread, but as it was closed I am not sure if you would see the new question. Apologies if I have digressed from the proper protocol.

[boot loader] timeout=30 default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS [operating systems] multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:09 07 Oct 05

1/ Click the Start button

2/ On the Start Menu click Run

3/ In the Run dialog box type: msconfig

4/ The System configuration utility window will now open

5/ Click the Boot ini Tab

6/ In the boot ini tab click the button marked Check all boot paths

7/ The system will check the boot paths and remove any invalid ones

8/ Finally Close the System configuration utility

9/ You will need to restart your pc for the changes to take effect

Rechek the boot ini file to see which partition is selected and delete windows from the other partition.

MAJ 17:10 07 Oct 05

Open the Boot.ini file in Notepad, s4wrs, and edit the names to, say, "Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 1" and "Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 2", save the edited boot.ini file by going to File > Save in Notepad. Then when you reboot your PC, you'll know which one is booted up.

s4wrs 19:43 07 Oct 05

Many thanks for the response. Now sorted!

However, I have a question! Why, when using the sys config utility, does it not allow the changes to stand without having to do a further manual edit? - See Fruitbat's step guide number 7. It removed the invalid reference but did not allow the change to automatically stand!?
Regards and thanks

2020 22:40 07 Oct 05

useful

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…