Two Operating Systems - One PC!

Pine Man 16:30 14 Mar 06

Not strictly dual-boot but is it possible to have a completely different o/s on each of my two hard drives. Both fully functional and independant of each other selected at boot up. Neither system relying on the other for any software support or start up procedure. I have had W98 on C and XP on D previously but D relied on C for the o/s selection. I don't want this, and it maybe that I have to select the drive I want from BIOS, but is there software that can operate this sort of dual boot system?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:05 14 Mar 06

I have XP home and Pro on two different drive in my old PC

In Bios I set Boot device as IDE0 (for pro drive)
or IDE1 for (home drive)

You should be able to do the same for any pair of Op systems. Just select the drive to boot from in BIOS.

Ray5776 17:31 14 Mar 06

Yes it works well I have XP on one & W2000 on the other and its easy to do.

ray

Diemmess 17:38 14 Mar 06

If you want to go down-market a bit to W98SE, you can still do it but must install W98 first on C:

Pine Man 18:20 14 Mar 06

Thanks for the replies.
I suspect that changing the BIOS each time is probably the only way but wondered if there was any software that you could use.

Ray5776 you don't actually say how you select the o/s you want.

Diemness the problem with this set up is that you have to keep the C drives boot sequence to run the o/s on the other drive. They are not independantly functioning drives.

A good test for what I want (or would like)is - if I removed either of the drives would the other one still work?

Diemmess 19:45 14 Mar 06

I popped "dual booting" into Google and a variety of items showed up including click here
I'm sure there are several software ways of doing this.

Pine Man 19:51 14 Mar 06

Thanks Diemmess found some useful suggestions

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…