Two operating systems - Is it safe?

prasad674 05:28 25 May 14

Sir,I m planning to put 2 operating systems in my pc - Windows 7 & windows 8.Is it safe for my pc to keep two of them?Will it lower the performance of my pc or will it perform like having a single OS?Plz help.....

Ian in Northampton 09:03 25 May 14

It should be perfectly safe, and should not affect performance. I assume you are planning to dual boot using something like EasyBCD? I suppose the question is: why would you want to do this?

Jollyjohn 09:37 25 May 14

An alternative approach is to use VirtualBox. Install it on W8 and the create a Virtual Machine and install W7. The you do not have to reboot to change Operating systems.

I run Linux as the Host and have various Windows installations that I use for troubleshooting and one specific program under Windows XP.

Note this option won't work if you want to play real time games under W7.

prasad674 07:01 28 May 14

Actually my family prefers to use Win 7 as it is more user friendly and easy to use....bt i want to use it with win 8 because it offers more funtionality and better performance i think....

Jollyjohn 11:17 28 May 14

In this instance dual boot is the option to choose but be aware every time you want to swap Operating system you will have to reboot the computer and choose which one you want.

Install W7 first then W8 and W8 should give the OS choice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5