two operating systems on boot up

jono366 12:26 05 Feb 05

I had two hard drives in my pc, each had windows XP installed on them. On startup i get a choice of which operating system to start.
I have since removed the second hard drive but continue to get a choice of operating systems on startup. Can someone please tell me how to resolve this without rebooting my system.
THANK YOU.

octal 12:58 05 Feb 05

In windows 98 its fdisk /mbr but in XP I think its in the Windows XP Recovery Console and its called FIXMBR perhaps one of the XP experts can confirm, but this is what Microsoft have to say on it:

click here

pc moron 13:09 05 Feb 05

You should be able to get rid of the choice on startup by editing the Boot.ini file.

Before you go any further note the following:

"Microsoft strongly recommends that you do not use System Configuration Utility to modify the Boot.ini file on your computer without the direction of a Microsoft support professional. Doing so may render your computer unusable."

Whith that in mind I recommend you create and TEST a boot floppy before editing Boot.ini.
If anything goes wrong, the boot floppy will enable you to boot to the desktop and replace the modified boot.ini with the original.
You might have to alter the boot order in the BIOS first.

Boot floppy click here

I suggest you open boot.ini with Notepad and copy/paste the contents here.

octal 13:16 05 Feb 05

In that case ignore my post! Its obviously wrong.

powerless 13:22 05 Feb 05

To remove the screen...

Start, Control Panel, System, Advanced, Settings [third], Uncheck:

"Time to display list of operating systems"

Click OK.

However make sure the defaul OS is the one you are using now.

Or...

Within those Advanced settings click EDIT and you can remove the entry manually from the boot.ini.

Again make sure the default OS is correct before removal.

pc moron 13:45 05 Feb 05

Doh!

jono366 12:33 06 Feb 05

Thanks powerless, that works a treat.

s4wrs 16:13 07 Oct 05

Hi Powerless. Have just (I thought) reinstalled my Windows xp, but on boot up discovered I now have two versions installed!

Given that I attempted reinstall because my system had become unstable and took ages to boot up, I am not too sure I have achieved my objective!

Anyway, I was ever so pleased to see your post to Jono, but I cannot make up my mind which OS is correct and which to delete.

Here is a dump of my boot.ini. Any clues please? Many thanks David

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…