Two Operating Systems

RPM1975 08:40 16 Nov 06

Hello all, first post so hope you all can help.

REcently completed a new build and have been running all fine until yesterday. My PC started suggesting registry and driver errors. I tried to reinstall drivers but all went horribly wrong. Long story short, I have had to do a clean install. Running XP SP2. I have lots of data and info on a separate partition (E) which has been saved athough all my programs obviously have been wiped, although still appear in my program files folder in C. The reinstall went well but during the bot process, it states that I have two XP OSs on my PC and I have to select one. One is the new one that works and one does not. Can anyone tell me how to remove this 'phantom' OS without totally formatting by HDD as I have lot of stuff that I really need to keep, CVs, pictures, music etc.

Thanks in advance.

brundle 08:43 16 Nov 06

You need to edit `boot.ini`;
click here

RPM1975 08:58 16 Nov 06

Thanks for your reply but I am a relative noob so could you explain a little, please.

RPM1975 09:28 16 Nov 06

Thanks brundle, all seems to be working fine now. All I have to do is activate all my software again. I have one more question. Do I actually have two operating systems on my PC now or was the second entry just a glich? How would I tell.

brundle 09:36 16 Nov 06

Check other partitions for Windows, Program Files and `Documents and Settings` folders - that would indicate another OS.
If you elected to install XP to another partition during setup and leave the damaged one intact, you do(did) indeed have to 2 OS's. Don't go deleting everything from the old OS - previous Outlook Express emails will be in the old `Documents and Settings` folder for example

RPM1975 10:36 16 Nov 06

I do appear to have two operating systems. What impact will this have on my systems and how do I remove the original 'damaged' version?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:54 16 Nov 06

Impact - will use up space on the drive.

You can copy the favorites and email folders etc to your new system.

how do I remove the original 'damaged' version?
-
just delete the old "windows" folders using explorer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Xiaomi Mi5s review: The Xiaomi flagship that could replace your Samsung, LG, HTC or Apple phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Mental Canvas is a brand new drawing app that's quite unlike any other

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's super-expensive new…