Two Network Cards and an IP address quandry

Parsley 20:24 09 Jan 03
  Parsley 20:24 09 Jan 03

I have 2 network cards in my main computer one for the cable modem and one for my sons networked computer. Both cards are the same make which makes ID'ing them a little awkward (lesson for the future!). I want to use ICS to share the internet but am unsure whether I should use the IP address of the card connected to the modem or network when I am creating the ICS disc for the networked computer. I have used the home network address (for safety?)and the connection works, however when running windows update all goes ok for a few minutes then the page/download stops. If I go to a different web page the page loads ok providing it is not too detailed. Connection is 128K.
Any ideas? Thanks.

howard60 20:37 09 Jan 03

you do not have to set an ip address for either card. You have not said what your os is but if xp it should set itself up automatically. Just make sure that when you run the wizard that you correctly identify the correct card for your broadband connection. If in doubt take out the card for your internal network. Run the wizard and after all is running ok then shut down and install the local network card. It should then be found and set up correctly.

Parsley 20:48 09 Jan 03

I use 98SE and zonealarm too! Sorry I forgot about ZA!! ZA seems ok but does ask for an IP address when configuring itself. Should I delete the IP address on the home network card?

howard60 22:27 09 Jan 03

then switch zone alarm off - you can then set up your home network. Once working let zone alarm run and go into it and enter the ip address of the networked pc and put it in the trusted zone.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…