Two mysteries

osben 10:24 05 Apr 03

I have just doubled the ram to 512Mb which I understand is the max that Win ME likes. I added Memory from Crucial who incidentally provided a fantastic service as regards to delivery but since adding the memory the system seems to be slower. I have installed it correctly the 256 Mb ddr2100 chip seems to be the same as the the existing one. Can anyone throw any light on the prob.

Secondly
I have lost my Recycle bin. A search does not throw it up. Have looked everywhere. I should ad that yesterday, just after fitting the new memory I downloaded a trial version of Tweak Manager but was not aware that I had changed any setting when I looked through it. Have gone back into the program and could not find any reference to Recycle bin anywhere?? Any help on this one as well.

VoG™ 10:26 05 Apr 03

Have you tried System Restore to get the bin back?

osben 14:40 05 Apr 03

Thanks for that. Should have thought of it myself.

Any thoughts on why the System seems slow after having increased the RAM.

Regards

wee eddie 21:55 05 Apr 03

I thought I must be mad.

Just increased my K500 Aptiva running 98se from 128mg to 256mg and appear to have experienced the same effect although closing programs appears to be faster (that has to be only in my perception doesn't it)

So you are not alone.

p.s. I posted my comment, not only to tell you that you are not alone, but also so that I could follow the thread with ease

osben 09:56 06 Apr 03

I have just doubled the ram to 512Mb which I understand is the max that Win ME likes. I added Memory from Crucial who incidentally provided a fantastic service as regards to delivery but since adding the memory the system seems to be slower. I have installed it correctly the 256 Mb ddr2100 chip seems to be the same as the the existing one. Can anyone throw any light on the prob.

KrySTaL-KoDE 10:21 06 Apr 03

As far as I can guess, it's the crucial RAM that's slowing your system down. It operates at a much lower data transfer rate than internal RAM. Even though the internal RAM is faster, the memory as a whole has to operate at the speed of the slowest chip.

I think you'd be a lot better off with ordinary internal DDR RAM than that Crucial thingy.

This is only my guess. If I'm wrong, then someone please correct me

howard60 12:51 06 Apr 03

they offer a free replacement/refund policy if they recommend memory and it is not suitable. This assumes that you used their selection process to find the correct memory. Their backup is equal to their delivery.

TechMad 13:11 06 Apr 03

I sometimes find that the system does slow down until, you re-install Windows. However this may be that I have also got rid of other files that may have been clogging up the machine.

Taran 13:18 06 Apr 03

Crucial memory does not slow a system down. DDR memory will only work to its full potentail in a system designed to use it. If PC100 or PC133 memory is currently fitted to your system, you should buy and fit more of the same.

As long as the correct memory was purchased for the system in question, it should operate just fine.

The fact that your system is slower could be down to any one of a number of things.

For a start, right click on My Computer, left click on Properties and see if the extra memory is even showing up in Windows. It will be displayed near the bottom of the General page in System Properties.

If all is well, fine. If not, you need to go into your BIOS and make sure that the memory slot you fitted the extra RAM to is detecting the module.

There really are a lot of reasons why things may not have gone according to plan here, but details of your system spec - motherboard make and model, computer manufacturer if it was bought from a large company, etc - will certainly help in determining likely causes.

There is only one type of Ram and that is internal!!

As Taran states, DDR memory is DDR memory and is the only memory that any PC uses (apart, perhaps from a miniscule amount for the Cmos).

So lang as the specs are the same it wont matter one iota.

It may be the Tweak progam that you installed has upsett a few things though!

pepe 13:33 06 Apr 03

Tarans comments about Crucial memory are correct. I have used them many times without any problems. When you installed the memory, on first boot did you enter the BIOS before loading windows, to make sure the extra memory was recognised, and then exit and SAVE the configuration to reboot again. This updates the CMOS. The comments regarding Win98, there was a well known problem with Win98 in the way that it read and utilised RAM. It started to read from 64mb DOWN, and not from 1MB UP, so anything above 64MB RAM was not used to its full potential. Indeed there was a school of thought that anything above 64mb was a waste of money.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…