Two motherboards in two months

Devious Dave 21:26 25 Sep 03

My friend was having a problem with her pc in uni and when she came home I offered to fix it. The problem was that There was nothing on the screen at boot up (CPU fan hard disk and CD-rom were fine). So I decided to change the motherboard, and was also forced to change the CPU and becasue it was an old socket 7 board.

This solved the problem everything was working fine. She returned to uni last weekend and the problem has returned, nothing on the screen. Any ideas, PSU maybe? Thanks in advance, David.

Djohn 21:30 25 Sep 03

It may be, especially if the monitor is also plugged into rear of PSU. If it is, then try a separate power lead for the monitor. j.

Devious Dave 21:37 25 Sep 03

Thnaks for the reply Djohn. I think the monitor had its own power cable going straight to the mains. I know the monitor is working fine because I used it on my machine and shes tested on other people's machines.

Djohn 21:44 25 Sep 03

Could still be the PSU as you say yourself. A friend of mine had a similar problem and a new PSU sorted it. I think it was something to do with the capacitor on the motherboard not receiving enough power from the PSU lead to kick the monitor on.

His monitor would turn on, but only with several attempts at using the re-set button. j.

Devious Dave 21:49 25 Sep 03

I give it a go when she returns this weekend. Thanks for your input. David.

woodchip 21:50 25 Sep 03

Or the power may be High doing the board in like a fuse. They should be +/- a % of volts that designed for I would think about +/- 2 to 5%

Devious Dave 22:04 25 Sep 03

Quote:

"They should be +/- a % of volts that designed for I would think about +/- 2 to 5%"

you what?

Djohn 22:16 25 Sep 03

Just in case woodchip is not on-line now. I think he means the voltage supplied from the PSU to the motherboard and other peripherals Has a leeway of + or - a couple of percent. If the PSU is faulty, it may be giving too high a voltage to the board connectors. j.

woodchip 23:27 25 Sep 03

Yep

His Nibs 01:59 26 Sep 03

Dear Dave,

I'm speaking as an ignoramus here, but I did recently have trouble getting anything at all out of my PC. This happened after a lightning storm killed my whole system - including the modem, a DVD drive, (which I have never been able to rejuvenate since it spits out everything out now).

After this event I seemed to be getting nothing - including no power, and nothing showed up at all on the monitor. I put the PC into a local "expert" computer shop, who told me that my PC was completely shot, and that I needed a new motherboard and a new CPU - virtually a new PC (they said!)

However, through my own deliberations, and expirimentations, I consulted with the motherboard manual, and discovered a setting in the bios, which read something like this: "What to do after a power failure: 1. Go to standby? 2. (something else, I can't remember) 3. Restart computer?"

I chose the third setting, and have had no problems since! Could your friend be having a similar problem, so that, there might not actually be anything wrong with the motherboard, but with a setting like that in my bios? The staff in my local "expert" computer shop did not know what to say to me, when I told them that my "shot" motherboard was working again! A lady member said: "Oh, you're quite good with computers, aren't you." (I resisted the temptation to say, "Whether I am or not, you don't seem to be!"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…