Two more Windows critical updates

hoverman 07:31 17 Jul 03

Volunteered to be guinea pig and installed security updates 821557 and 823980 this morning. No problems to report.

rawprawn 08:37 17 Jul 03

Thanks hoverman I will have a go

Jester2K II 08:40 17 Jul 03

Me too - even noticed MS seem to always release these on a Thursday????

Security Update for Windows XP (823980)
Download size: 1.2 MB, < 1 minute
A security issue has been identified that could allow an attacker to remotely compromise a computer running Microsoft® Windows® and gain complete control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

821557: Security Update (Windows XP)
Download size: 5.1 MB, 2 minutes
An identified security issue in Microsoft Windows could allow an attacker to compromise a Microsoft Windows-based system and then take a variety of actions. For example, an attacker could execute code on the system. By installing this update, you can help protect your computer. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer

VoG II 09:12 17 Jul 03

Got 'em and survived - so far!

Thanks.

-pops- 09:16 17 Jul 03

I wonder, what are the chances of naughty carrying out these attacks on my home computer?

My own view is that we should be more concerned about the moon falling into the Pacific Ocean than being attacked in the numerous, and ever increasing, ways that Bill Gates and his cohorts think we will be.

I also wonder if Microsoft ever feel any sense of embarrassment having launched such an apparently insecure operating system.

How long before the majority of the space on hard drives is taken up with updates and patches attempting to mend a fundamentally holed system?

Unless updates make a positive contribution to my computer, I ignore them. Even if I think about installing, I wait a while to allow a new version or a patch for the patch to be issued.

Brian

-pops- 09:17 17 Jul 03

Should read "naughty people" - above.

Ooops

Stuartli 09:51 17 Jul 03

It would be of help if those kindly reporting critical updates for Windows having been released also mentioned for which version...:-)

hoverman 10:03 17 Jul 03

Point taken - will make sure I do it next time. Regarding the reply from -pops-, the merits for/against installing these critical updates crops up almost every time someone reports new ones are available. Why not just leave it up to each individual as to whether he/she decides to download them.

Ben Avery 10:19 17 Jul 03

Thank you!

FYI

Win 98SE - 1 Critical Update

Win 2000 - 2 Critical Updates

Win XP - 2(?) Critical Updates

BA

-pops- 10:21 17 Jul 03

Oh, well, pardon me.

Jester2K II 10:28 17 Jul 03

Just one thing. Quite a few viruses spread precisely because people don't install some of these patches. If everyone had installed some of the early security patches then some types of "attack" would be redundant. They are not because sufficient numbers of people are unpatched against these attacks.

No, no-one gives a monkeys about your PC or mine, but the next person who picks up a virus on their PC is one step closer to it being sent to your PC and if your PC is not patched against the exploit it uses then you could well end up suffering its effects.

Of course if everyone used up to date AV too....

"I also wonder if Microsoft ever feel any sense of embarrassment having launched such an apparently insecure operating system." Come one -how much embarrassment would you take for that sort of cash????? ;-)

"How long before the majority of the space on hard drives is taken up with updates and patches attempting to mend a fundamentally holed system?" On todays multi-gigabyte HDDs the space is minimal.

At the end of the day its down to the user but it those that don't patch that risk (albeit very small risk) being caught out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…