two modems

Newuser857 12:19 25 Aug 03

I have two computers, on of which is a spare should the main one fail. They are never used at the same time. My main computer is on Freeserve for the internet. I want to go broadband and have asked Freeserve if it is possible to have two modems so I can connect on the reserve computer should the main one fail . I was told I could not have two broadband modems on the same line and that I could either a swap the broadband modem in the event of failure or use a router. How can I use a router if the main one goes down ?

Anyone had this problem and how did you sort it.

Any help gratefully received.

bremner 12:24 25 Aug 03

Because the router sits between the adsl modem and the computers, it makes no difference if one computer fails the broadband supply to the other is unaffected

-pops- 12:24 25 Aug 03

If you have an external USB modem, just swap it over to the other machine. If you have internal modems, just swap the telephone cable over.

I have several machines but one USB BB modem. I just unplug it from one machine and insert into the other when I want to changeover.

GANDALF <|:-)> 12:34 25 Aug 03

You can have as many BB modems as you want, using the same line. Obviously you can only use 1 modem at once. The modems have no need to be the same make, as long as the driver disks are loaded on each computer. You can have more than one modem on each computer.

Newuser857 12:52 25 Aug 03

Thanks very much for the advice from everyone. I really couldn't see why I couldn't have two BB modems. I think the Freeserve adviser got it mixed up somewhat.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…