two-minute hang on bootup

Babou 21:16 05 Sep 04

In the past few days my computer stops on the first boot screen (just as it gets to "press del to enter setup"). If I just leave it, it eventually goes on to boot up normally and Win XP works fine.

Is something about to blow, or could it be the motherboard battery's going flat?

It's an ASUS mobo, about two years old (which is why I thought of the battery -- though with other computers I've had the battery has just died completely).

This happened while I was installing a new printer -- but it wasn't even turned on when I booted up and the problem first arose, so I can't see that it's related. The printer works fine, and I've since installed a new USB2 card as well.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:26 05 Sep 04

have a 5yaer old PC and no problems with battery.

Could be a problem with the drives.
Depending on exactly where it hangs

PC is looking for floppy hard disks and CD / DVD roms.

if before the POST screen showing these items (yours?)

or an operting system if after the POST screen.

Enter BIOS. Does the Hard drive(s) CD show up immediately in BIOS?

Disable Floppy seek and Floppy swap.

Save and exit (F10)

AndySD 21:36 05 Sep 04

Try running BootVis click here and set it to create a bootlog for you.
This should show you what is causing the Hang.

Babou 21:47 05 Sep 04

Thanks for the suggestions fruitbat and andy -- I'll try those things later (I'm at work right now).

The hang comes early on, before I get a chance to go into BIOS, so I guess it's before it's looking for the drives. IE, if I hit delete I have to wait two minutes before I can enter BIOS.

Babou 13:46 20 Dec 04

I'm ticking this even though it hasn't been solved - and I've tried everything I can think of. I just accept that it takes my computer a few minutes to start.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:08 20 Dec 04

Try a scan and defrag of your hard drives.

jack 14:26 20 Dec 04

This seems a common occurance these days.
Many strings devoted to it
Some blame SP2 - could be
At the end the day however the more there is loaded on the dratted thing the more it has to look for.
just sit back, sip yer cocoa and contemplate,
why did I switch this thing on , when there is something much better to do this time o' year?

Babou 12:26 21 Dec 04

I had this before sp2. My conspiracy theory is it's sneaked in by manufacturers to make you want a new computer! Thanks for the help, everyone

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…