Two laptops - one keeps disconnecting

mcut 12:30 01 Nov 07

PC running XPSP2
HP dv2188ea running Vista - clean install from Windows Media Centre Edition
Dell 620 laptop
D-Link DIR-635 Router

OK. bought D-Link Router, set up within one hour. using built in wireless adapters on both laptops. both say ab and G.

My laptop works fine, strong signal all the time

my partner's laptop (provided by her employers Orange - to allow her to work from home occasionally) keeps disconnecting her from the network and then automatically connecting her again.

why does my laptop work fine without ever disconnecting and yet the Dell Laptop keeps disconnecting. this happens even when we are in the same room by the way so it is not about where she is using it.

Ashrich 18:52 05 Nov 07

If she is using it on battery , it may be the power saving kicking in , try altering this in Device manager / Network adapters / Advanced , look for something like CAM ( constant awake mode ) or something similar , also update the drivers for the adapter , this quite often helps as well . If it is a Vista laptop there are settings in the power options for the laptop as a whole that can be altered , Control Panel / Power Options / Dell Recommended , click on " Change plan settings " , then " Change advanced power settings " , 3rd down , Wireless adapter settings / power saving mode / on battery or plugged in , you can change both to Maximum performance .

Ashley

Ashrich 18:53 05 Nov 07

Should say " as it is a Vista laptop , not " if "

Ashley

mcut 08:39 06 Nov 07

thanks. i updated her driver and then it took me through a wireless protected setup - this was however impossible as i did not know the device password which the wizard says is normally printed on the device. i found the d-link router password but assume the password requested was in order to add the laptop as a device. in any event, i ignored WPS and manually added the connection. everything is now working fine and partner is not being dropped from the connection periodically anymore.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017