Two installations of XP - one licence?

Pine Man 11:10 17 May 06

Every 6 months or so I re-format my HD and re-install XP to get rid of all the rubbish. This means I am out of action for a couple of days or so.

I have two HDs in my PC and was considering installing the same version of XP on my second HD and getting it up and fully running and updated while still retaining the use of my first HD for internet access etc. Recent threads appear to suggest that you can have more than one installation of XP if its on the same PC.

I don't want to upset Bill Gates and lose the use of my legit copy of XP and wondered if anybody had tried this or can confirm it is legal?

Diodorus Siculus 11:14 17 May 06

That should be no problem.

Why not do a clean install of XPthen clone it and you can be up and running inless than an hour. look at click here for a guide.

Pine Man 11:20 17 May 06

I have True Image 9.

Do you mean after the new installation keep a copy of it for the next time?

mattyc_92 11:23 17 May 06

Yes... I do this, and it saves me about 5+ hours of re-installing programs and changing settings, etc..

All I have to do is update the programs that are out of date, run Windows Update and restore my personal files and I am done.. Usually taking about 1 hour max!! (plus around 2 hours to restore the backup)

Pine Man 11:28 17 May 06

Thanks Diodorus Siculus and mattyc_92 I'll wait for a rainy day and give it a bash.

xania 12:36 17 May 06

I find I can do exactly the same thing with Partition Magic. In fact, if you've a large enough space on your HDD, you can keep a couple of copies. Only trouble is that you need to stop the system asking you which version to run on each boot-up, but that's not a problem.

Also, of course, using either method, you can always back-up to DVD.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…