Two H/drives = Two o/s?

Riptide 15:40 17 Jun 03

Can I install a slave hard disk [completely unused] and then load it with a newer operating system. I am thinking of going from win 98se to win Me, but want to make sure all my devices are compatible before deleting win 98. Will this avoid the need to partition my main hard disk?
Mt thinking says it should be just like starting a new system bought without an o/s. Am I missing something important ?

Gongoozler 16:12 17 Jun 03

Hi Riptide. You can set up your computer for dual booting although I don't know how, but following your line of thinking what I think you want to do is to set your old drive as slave and your new empty drive as master. Then using your boot floppy you can format the new drive as the system drive (format/s) and load Win ME and all your software onto the new drive, while all your saved files will still be on your old drive. If you want to go back to Win 98, you simply return your old drive to master and your new one to slave. Your BIOS is almost certainly set to boot from the C drive which will normally be whichever is in the primary master position.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…