Two h/drive dilemma

jogjog 17:45 22 Sep 05

Hi there,I have just purchased a new 60gb h/drive as my old 30gb h/drive recently made some funny noises and I recieved message at boot up stating h/drive failure is imminent. What I would like to do is install my new h/drive, move all files from my old drive to it then make the new drive my c: drive. Then use the old drive just to store unimportant stuff for as long as it lasts (I know I would have to reinstall all my programs on the new drive). What is the best way to do this? Should I install my o/s on the new drive , can I do this without making it duel boot or can I move files from one drive to the other on a duel boot system? I run XP pro, have an Asus motherboard (not sure the model no.) Maxtor 33073h3 30gb h/drive (the old one) Seagate st3600712a 60gb drive (the new one).
Hope this makes some kind of sense and thanks in advance.

Pineman100 18:19 22 Sep 05

I think what I would do is this:
Make a Windows Recovery floppy disk.
Make sure your bios is set to boot the computer from a floppy as first choice.
Disconnect the existing drive from the motherboard.
Fit the new drive (set the jumper to master).
Start up from the recovery disk, format and install Windows.
Install all your software.
Reconnect the old drive as a slave.
Copy all files that you want from the old drive to the new.

jogjog 18:24 22 Sep 05

Thanks alot, I will try this asap

DieSse 20:50 22 Sep 05

If you go to the Seagate site, you can download their Disk Wizard software (free) which will guide you through the installation of the new drive, and an automatic copy of your complete setup from the old drive to the new one.

Save a lot of messing about

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…