two hard drives with windows startup question....

theDarkness 14:13 08 Jan 10

two questions :)

two hard drives, each with a version of windows-if they were both connected in the same pc, would i need an additional program do let me choose between them on startup, or will the computer know itself?

Or could there be other issues, eg even for the obove to work, must they both be connected as a 'master' etc, or does that not really make a difference? Browsing the web im told for a system to work well one hd must be master and one cd/dvd drive as master, to allow the best performance, but with two hds, regarding jumpers and what should or should not be used as a master, im not sure what to do.

thanks for any help.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:40 08 Jan 10

Master and slave only relevant to IDE drives

Boot files or boot menu program must be on master drive (ide)or first sata port.

Boot menu depends on what operating systems you wish to boot from?

theDarkness 17:54 08 Jan 10

for now, the option on what to boot up from is from XP and ME. both are IDE connections. windows is already installed on both hds. are there any good free boot menu programs- Im assuming i will need to install the program on a master, preferably on xp? im not sure how it works, if the option on what version of windows to startup would appear instantly after startup or not

thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:47 08 Jan 10

You need to copy the boot files from the ME HDD root to the XP route (master then edit the boot.ini to look for the ME system

click here

theDarkness 19:22 08 Jan 10

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…