Two hard drives ,one PC,with OS on both.

woody 17:06 10 Sep 09

I use vista 64 prem.
It is a stand alone -not a recovery CD.
I have two hard drives - on one PC.
Instead of making a (simple) copy to CD ( which is allowed - "10. BACKUP COPY. You may make one backup copy of the media. You may use it only to reinstall the software.") or using another purchased program to make a copy to num two drive (which I thought was allowed) - would I be allowed to make the num two drive identical to the num one drive?
It appears from the terms it is not allowed.( A hardware partition or blade is considered to be a separate device. )
My idea is to have two HDD identical so if one dies the other is there immediately useable.By definition only one copy of the OS is in use at any one time.

lofty29 17:16 10 Sep 09

why not clone the number one drive.

lotvic 17:29 10 Sep 09

Yes that's allowed, as lofty29 says, clone the drive, so that you have one ready to swap in case of failure of 1st drive.

It's what most of us do using Acronis True Image,
or we make a backup image of 1st drive to install on a new drive, etc etc.

GaT7 17:31 10 Sep 09

"My idea is to have two HDD identical so if one dies the other is there immediately useable. By definition only one copy of the OS is in use at any one time."

Yes, that would be fine. As long as you don't use both simultaneously (impossible anyway?) or in another PC, I cannot see how that is breaking any rules. G

woody 15:03 11 Sep 09

I put a copy of vista64 on num two drive (the same pc as the original is on) they want me to activate the copy.
This implies to me that if I activate the copy I will/may then have a problem with the original!
I think i will stick to the old fashioned ways!

lofty29 17:23 11 Sep 09

If you cloned the number two drive from number one it would already be validated so you would not have a problem, I used xxclone freeversion and it was very simple, the only thing you cannot do with the free version is incremental backups.

woody 21:29 11 Sep 09

Thank you all for your input.

john bunyan 22:18 11 Sep 09

Using Acronis True Image I clone my primary drive to a slave drive and also make an image on an external HD of each partition on my main drive. Belt and braces but I have used it once, and it worked!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now