two hard drives how can I get XP installed on both

decoratorman 20:11 21 Sep 03

I have installed xp on a computer with two hard drives.
It changed the operatining system to xp but the old windows 95 is still there with all its software on the main drive.
I wanted to get rid of all the old stuff and start fresh. I installed twice and each time it said it would be a new installation.
Why wont it install on my big main drive and wipe out the previous as it has on the small one.
These drives are partitioned as well and xp has kept the old partitions which I didnt want.
The xp software is not an upgrade version.
What did I do wrong and how do I get two unpartitioned xp hard drives.
help please

dazzling (work) 20:27 21 Sep 03

if you boot from the xp cd it will give you info on both hard the drive you want to use it will give you info on the partitions on that disk.if you want rid of the partition select the option to delete the partition.then it should give you info on the full drive,which you can then format.then install can also delete the partition on the other harddrive and format that too.why do you want to install xp to both harddrives you only need it on one you can use the other harddrive to store your data on.darren

dazzling (work) 20:30 21 Sep 03

p.s. is the harddrive you want to install xp to set as master or slave.this may be the you now have a dual boot system where you get the option to use xp or 95?.darren

decoratorman 20:36 21 Sep 03

when i booted with the cd it went straight to the small hard disk and behaved as though and didn't mentioned my main C drive.
As the xp software/operating system is on my small hard disk can I just format the c drive , I know I will loose all the info but it will still work as though xp is on it , and if I put any programs on it it will work under the xp banner.
P.S. why dont the programs that wre left on the c disk not show up on the small hard disk xp start/programs lists.
I know I'm being thick here but bear with me.
P.S. I have had 6 e-mails already tonight supposedly from microsoft , whats the bet they are that virus.

decoratorman 20:41 21 Sep 03

when the screen start as the computer turns on I'm asked if I want to use xp or windows 95.
Not sure about the slave/ master bit.

kinger 20:41 21 Sep 03

click here to read about this interesting piece of software.

I've been using it for over two years and it's amazing.

powerless 20:47 21 Sep 03

Format all the drives, delete all partitons.

Then create your partitons on the drives using the XP disk.

Install XP to first disk.

Now physically disocnnect one drive and install XP to the other.

Or install XP to the one drive then install to the other disk. But do not make parttions on the other disk ubtil XP is is installed on the first disk.

powerless 20:47 21 Sep 03

I rushed that ;-)

dazzling (work) 20:48 21 Sep 03

if xp is on the small drive im assuming d: yes you can format c:.once you have done this your programs will install to the same drive as xp.the c: drive will be empty until you put something in c drive has xp my d drive has backup of c drive ,music documents,pictures video etc stored on only need the operating system on one will allow you to see and use the other harddrive.the beauty of this is if windows crashes and you have to reinstall all your information is still on the other drive uneffected.good look darren

decoratorman 22:29 21 Sep 03

I understand.
If I format my c drive , it gives me a totally clean drive.
My d drive holds my xp operating system.
If I put the xp boot disk in would it recognize the c drive as clean and install the xp or I suppose I could just put all programs and docs,pictures,etc on the c drive and call them up if I need them.
Is there some way I can get them to appear on the d desktop as shortcuts to open the programmes without having to go into windows explorer,
thanks again,

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…