Two Hard drives

chriscross72 14:42 08 Jan 05

I currently have windows xp pro on an 80 gb hard drive set as master. I have another 40 gb hard drive going spare, can I format the 40 gb one then connect it to the same lead as the other one as a slave, or do i need to set jumpers on both drives to cable select ?
Will I need to install windows to the second drive or can I just use it as an extra storage area. I want to transfer everything on my primary hard drive to it as a back up.
What is the best and easiest way to go about this ?
Thank you : ))

Jeffers22 14:46 08 Jan 05

Jumpers on existing drive to master or master with slave present (depending on drive)
Jumpers on 40Gb drive set to slave. connect up to IDE cable and you are there. Format second drive and use it as a data drive, no need to install windows there unless you want to multi boot.

To back up the entire primary drive you would be advised to use Norton Ghost, Acronis True Image or similar.

Jeffers22 14:46 08 Jan 05

Please remember that the second drive will automatically become D: so you may find a lot of current references to a CD or DVD drive (if it was D:) will now not be looking in the right place as your optical drives will be shifted up the alphabet from D: to E:

Diemmess 14:49 08 Jan 05

Suggest you mount the spare HD as CSL in slave position on the Primary IDE cable.

If the 40Gb disk is already formatted there is no need to do anything more before using it as a backup and data store

Others will doubtless offer the best way of making a backup image of your primary drive on this HD. You may need to partition the 80Gb disk to avoid having a larger backup file than space to store it!

bremner 14:49 08 Jan 05

As jeffers22 says it may change your drive letters.

Just use Disk Management to change them back and assign a later letter to the new drive.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:48 08 Jan 05

Depending on age and make your PC may not support cable select.

Make sure jumpers are set Master for your 80g C: drive and slave if on same cable for your 40g slave.

Fit 2nd HDD
click here
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…