Two hard disks and two operating systems

Rhuddlan 19:13 29 Apr 03

Hi all, here is the situation, I have Win XP Home edition and two hard drives which at present both have XP on, I have all of my games, updates, internet patches etc installed on hard drive C and don’t want to lose all of these, so I don’t want to reinstall windows XP or format drive C at all. My new hard drive D is empty and has been formatted, so is there a way that I can have both XP and ME on this new hard, I have put ME in the computer and a message appeared saying that I need to uninstall windows 2000 first and then install ME, but if I uninstall XP first, won’t I lose all of the contents on drive C, I don’t want to lose anything on drive C, how can I partition drive D so I can get two operating systems on it. I have been looking through the Argos catalogue and found Partition Magic for £39.99 is this a good piece of software, if so will I need this to partition drive D, or don’t I need any software to partition a hard drive, thanks for any help given.

Bagsey 19:42 29 Apr 03

It can be done but I personally dont like dual booting. There always seems to be problems that you can live without.
I use hard disc caddies and have a hard disc for each OS. That way I have never have any nasties. The caddies are not so expensive at Maplins.
It is also good to have it this way because if you pick up a virus inspite of all your precautions you still have another setup to be working with.
No doubt other people will strongly dissacgree with me, but that's life.

powerless 19:54 29 Apr 03

Backup all of your work first, to be on the safe side.

Disconnect the XP hard drive and install ME onto the second hard drive, leave the jumper settings as they are.

Now reconnect the XP drive backup. Insert your Windows XP CD and let the computer boot from the CD.

Give it a minute whilst files are loaded.

When you get to the welcome screen. "Welcome to setup"...

Press R to access the recovery console.

Choose XP.

Then type you administrator password. (if you do not have a password just press enter)

Then at the prompt:

C:/>WINDOWS

Type: FIXBOOT

So you will see C:/>WINDOWS:FIXBOOT

Now press enter, this will make the changes so that you can choose which OS to boot into.

Then exit and restart, switch the boot device back to the hard drive and you will then see a Operating system boot loader. Just choose XO or ME.

powerless 19:56 29 Apr 03

After Pressing enter after you have typed FIXBOOT

C:/>WINDOWS:FIXBOOT

enter

You will then have to press "Y".

ton 19:59 29 Apr 03

I dual boot with 4 operating systems and it's never caused any problems. I use Partition Magic and Drive Image and highly recommend them.

powerless 20:01 29 Apr 03

Quadruple boot ;-

ton 20:15 29 Apr 03

I meant to say multi boot ;¬)

Rhuddlan 09:36 30 Apr 03

Thanks for the help everyone, but is this the only way that I can run operating systems on one hard disk to take the XP drive out, this is the last thing I won't to be messing around with the inside of my computer again, will a new operating system only install on the primary hard drive, thanks.

Rhuddlan 09:38 30 Apr 03

Also another thing someone said about the XP CD, what CD I didn't get one with my computer, is this normal, as I have never had an operating system CD with any of my past computers.

bliksem 15:36 30 Apr 03

It sounds to me like the others are making life dificult for you. Firstly, you will need to partition the second HD so that you can put both OS's on it. Once you have booted up from C: you should now see E: and F: (for example) when you explore you pc.

Now I think its just a case of booting from the xp cd and choosing which partition (in this case on the second HD) you want to install into.

D.

eccomputers 15:56 30 Apr 03

the question was 'without reinstalling xp'
Thats why the answers are tricky

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017