two firewalls on pc

pookie 16:33 23 Jan 09

Hi

Windows xp pro.

My pc has an internet security suite which has it's firewall running. The Windows Firewall is also 'on'. Is it safe to leave both on or should I turn the Windows Firewall off?

crosstrainer 16:38 23 Jan 09

Running 2 firewalls is not a good idea, if your security suite has it's own, disable Windows version.

pookie 16:39 23 Jan 09

could having 2 running slow network speed?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:40 23 Jan 09

could having 2 running slow network speed?
Yes

Pineman100 16:40 23 Jan 09

The Windows XP firewall only monitors incoming traffic anyway. You're almost certainly better off with the independent product.

crosstrainer 16:40 23 Jan 09

Yes, and cause conflicts....Only use one.

provider 2 16:43 23 Jan 09

The problem is that sometimes there is no problem and sometimes there is ... interference, conflict, that sort of thing.

Windows Security Center advises the use of only one firewall, even though it can`t bring itself to say ... turn the XP firewall off if you are using a better one because it`s not up to much.

Installing some firewalls turns off the Windows one automatically, of course ... check your Security Center.

crosstrainer 16:45 23 Jan 09

Trust the post's....Disable the Windows Firewall...It's not up to much anyway, and as has been poste here, you should only have 1.

pookie 17:08 23 Jan 09

thanks guys

pookie 11:28 28 Jan 09

Hi

Can I stress that I am not an IT expert but as an update an IT technician has told me that there is no major performance gain or loss on having both windows and kaspersky firewalls 'on' and it is really preventing nasties from getting on to my machine. Also, if I was purely working in the office he would turn windows firewall off but he would leave it on for if travelling.

I'm not sure about this still based on posts above and surely Kaspersky firewall should be the only software firewall running on a pc regardless of location.

Many thanks

P

birdface 11:59 28 Jan 09

Now most Security Suites will disable windows firewall when they install there own version.Have you tried Control Panel,Security Center.Firewall.Click on the Down arrows on the right hand side of it and it will tell you what firewall is in use. It should tell you the Kaspersky Firewall is being used.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now