Two firewalls don't appear to cause me problems

TommyRed 19:56 01 Feb 04

It was always my impression that XP's own firewall and say, ZoneAlarm would cause conflicts. I thought I'd disabled XP's own but this is not the case, I've just tested my system with ShieldsUp click here and everything was fine. Should I leave it, don't touch it if it aint broke, or disable XP's own. If the latter, how, as my previous attempt has obviously failed. Which was Control Panel>Network Connections>R\C on ISP and select properties>Advanced tab and uncheck "Protect my computer....." TIA TR

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:12 01 Feb 04

There is more chance of finding a good actor/ess in Coronation Street than a home computer being hacked. One firewall is more than enough. ALL a firewall does is mask your computers ports. There is still one open and if someone wanted to hack it they would know that the other 65000 ports were there. There are several programmes that will bypass any firewall and click here is an interesting read. There have been more releases during the last year.

Steve Gibson used to be a marketer and his rather garish website shows it... click here is another side of the coin. Always better to have more than one view ;-)))

G

VoG II 20:19 01 Feb 04

It is 2 (or more) virus scanners that can cause trouble and make your system grind to a near halt.

As GANDALF <|:-)> says a firewall is just blocking ports, and you don't need more than one. The XP one only works in one direction (inbound) and I would suggest that you try disabling it again.

TommyRed 21:09 01 Feb 04

I knew it was two of something, I'd read it on here. I'll try disabling the XP firewall but I'm not confident I've tried three times now without success. TR

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…