Two Firewalls?

HFC 15:06 30 Jan 03

Might seem like a daft question, but indulge me.
Is the XP Pro FW enough or should I set up something like Zone Alarm, if it's better. And, if so, should I disengage XP's Firewall or leave both on. I read conflicting things about XP's own FW.

Sir Radfordin™ 15:10 30 Jan 03

If you want a firewall then disable XP's and set up something like Zone Alarm or Outpost. Do not have two running they will simply conflict.

XP's firewall only stops incomming traffc, so isn't as good as a purpose built bit of software.

HFC 15:14 30 Jan 03

Sir Radfordin

Thanks!

tran1 15:16 30 Jan 03

Xp's own firewall is perfectly adequate but has not much features. And with a connection like Broadband it would be more preferable to use a third party dedicated firewall. Zonealarm will give you details and warnings whenever there has been any attempts on your connection.

When I used Xp's firewall, I never knew what was going on. It just sat there. I knew it was on but it gave no indication of it blocking and protecting me.
Now I use Zonealarm, I know when there are intrusions and can happily tell when Zonealarm is protecting me via its messages, control panel and activity metre.

Its not worth having two firewalls working at the same time, so just disable Xp'(to save on system resourcese even though its not much).

blademann10 03:33 02 Feb 03

as u where told 2 firewalls would clash.ALSO CAN DAMAGE EATHER ONE OR BOTH.
I use pc-cillin v10 as it tells u when someone/site is trying to access your computer if you know its friend just click allow if foe click deny it auto sets to listings so you dont have to.

oneMegaBit 04:23 02 Feb 03

disable xp's firewall and load zonealarm xp's ISN'T adequate it only filters incoming traffic letting spy ware, and your credit card details float around the internet zonealarm filters both incoming and outgiong traffic so it's a much better option.

dougiez 07:57 02 Feb 03

i have two firewalls going at the same time for over month now, no conflicts no clashing.
everthing SEEMS to be ok
zonalalarm and norton firewall on windows xp

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…