two email addresses in different XP user accounts?

redstone 12:31 18 May 03

I need to set up two email addresses in two different XP user accounts. Both addresses are with Onetel so only the user names differ between the two. I have tried various approaches e.g. making sure that the check box for making the setup available for all users is not checked, etc. but no joy so far.
This is probably a simple matter when you know how but I would be gald of any help.

jazzypop 12:45 18 May 03

Which email program are you using?

I have had no difficulty doing this with several XP PCs with multiple users - are both users given Administrator rights? From memory, if they have User rights, they cannot setup a new dialup account or email account. The solution is to change their rights to Administrator (Control Panel > User Accounts), setup the new mail account, then change them back to User if required.

redstone 13:14 18 May 03

Thanks jazzypop for your quick reply.
I have both people set up as administrators so that isn't the cause of the problem

jazzypop 13:53 18 May 03

So, you can setup an email account for User1 as (for instance) user1 @ my.isp.

You then logoff user1, logon as user2, and setup a new account as user2 @ my.isp.

Are you saying that either user cannot download their mail, or that each user downloads both mail accounts?

I am slightly comfused as to what the exact problem is.

And which email program are you using - Outlook, Outlook Express, Eudora, Pegasus, and which version?

redstone 14:26 18 May 03

PS I'm using Outlook Express -latest version

redstone 14:30 18 May 03

I can use my email but there is an error message generated when I try to get the other set up. I shall have to have another go and see again what the error message is as I can't remember.

redstone 22:50 18 May 03

The error message I get is "The host mail.onetel.net.uk could not be found.
Protocol POP3, port 110, Secure (SSL) No, socket error 110004 Error number 0x800CCC0D"

How meaningful is that??

jazzypop 23:07 18 May 03

First, check that you have entered the correct information for the email account. The message basically says that it does not know where to look to find the onetel email server.

See click here for a list of the correct settings.

To check your setup, open Outlook Express, go to Tools > Accounts, click once on your email account and choose Properties, then the Servers tab.

Check that both the POP3 and SMTP settings are set to mail.onetel.net.uk

On the Connection tab, check that the correct dialup account is selected. It is probably better to untick the 'always use this account...' box.

Finally, on the Advanced tab, make sure that the Outgoing mail is set to port 25, and the incoming to 110.

I presume that if you have a firewall, you have given permission for Outlook Express to access the Internet?

PSF 23:13 18 May 03

When you set up the second account did you copy all of the settings from the first account eg pop.yourisp smtp.yourisp etc...

This is an extract from the NTL settings for e-mail.

Open 'Outlook Express'.
From the 'Tools' menu, select 'Accounts'.
Click 'Add' and choose 'Mail'.
In the 'Display Name' field, enter your full name as you wish it to appear to others (e.g. 'Firstname Surname') and click 'Next'.
In the 'Email Address' field, enter your email address (e.g. '[email protected]') and click 'Next'.
Ensure that 'My incoming mail server is a POP3 server'.
In the 'Incoming mail (POP3, IMAP or HTTP) server' field enter 'pop.ntlworld.com'.
In the 'Outgoing mail (SMTP) server' field enter 'smtp.ntlworld.com'. Click 'Next'.
In the 'Account name' field, type your username (e.g. 'firstname.surname'). In the 'Password' field enter your password. Check the box next to 'Remember password' if you wish to save your password. Click 'Next'.
Click 'Finish', and click 'Close' on the 'Internet accounts' window.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…