TWO DVD ROMS ON ONE IDE

skyfly 22:12 12 Mar 04

Recently bought a dvd re writer(optorite) dvd + - r rw and put it on same (secondary) ide channell as my dvd rom drive (afreey) they hate each other!!!!! If i take one off the other is ok but both on and neither works properly. I have flashed bios for ecs k7s5a motherboard and installed latest sis ide drivers. Both drives show up ok udma 2 but do not work properly. One is master one is slave. HELP!

BBez 22:23 12 Mar 04

connect your burner to master on the primary IDE channel connector as MASTER and put your DVD ROM on the secondary channel as SLAVE and give it a whirl.

If that don't work, try leaving both devices as configured and set both jumpers to CS (cable select).

You can't copy on the fly reliably if you use CS due to contention...

Djohn 22:35 12 Mar 04

Agree with BBez. Set the jumpers on the rear of both drives to "Cable select" then connect the drive you want as master to the end of the IDE cable and the slave one to the middle connector.

Go into your BIOS and set both drives to "Auto" the PC will then look after them for you. This is the way I have mine set, also both my hard drives. j.

skyfly 23:39 13 Mar 04

No tried all of the above in every variation still no joy. Thinking along the lines of aspi drivers now, Adaptec? not easy to install for xp though.

skyfly 23:50 25 Mar 04

Bought a different dvd rom jvc and put one hard drive and burner on one primary ide and hard drive and rom on secondary. Sorted!

The Sack 01:24 26 Mar 04

Using cable select is a proper bad idea cos you have to hang the master on the end connector.

Set one to master and one to slave and thats all there is to it, if it doesnt work hit google cos something is wrong.

On the fly wony work very well as they are both on the same IDE. IDE cant read and write at the same time.

FWIW your afreey drive is the probable cause as the chances are it wants the cable to its self.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…