Two drives showing

jam500 09:50 08 Jan 07

Hi, Im running windows xp sp2. I have just installed a new hard drive from a 60gb 5200rpm to a 80gb 7200rpm drive and i used a free program to to copy my old drive over. The problem is aswell as a c drive showing there is also an f drive showing with the following folders in it, recycler and system volume information which is empty. This is taking up some hard drive space which defeats the opject of a bigger drive. Any ideas as why it would have an f drive on it and can i get rid of it, And is there a product to make the new drive a bit quieter as its louder than the original. There is only the new drive in and not a master and slave set up.

Dan S 10:07 08 Jan 07

Without seeing the system, it sounds like your free application has created an additional partiton on your new hard-drive. This is easily dealt with, however. Right Click on My Computer, and click on Manage. Once there, click on the 'Disk Management' option in the left-hand pane under 'Storage'. Your disk (C:\) should then be visable in the pane in the top-middle.

Click on it, and underneath you should be given a graphical representation of your disk. If the F:\ drive is appended to the C:\ drive, right click on that section and delete/remove it. You may need to use a 3rd-party partition manager to increase size of your main partition as XP doesn't seem to like that idea. I personally use partition magic, but I've seen some free solutions that unfortunately I can't remember off the top of my head.

Hope this helps.

jam500 10:19 08 Jan 07

Thank you Dan S that has got rid of it i will search for a free program to get the rest of the space back, If anyone knows of any i would be very gratefull.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009