two computers, one monitor

  Elwell 15:55 09 Mar 04

Is there a way of using two computers with one monitor , keyboard and mouse so that I can switch from one to the other? I presuming something like a usb cable would be used but I don't know if I would need software too be able to do this. Any advice would be appreciated. Thamks.

  Diodorus Siculus 16:05 09 Mar 04

You need a KVM switch for best effect. Amazon do one for about £25 or so.

  Diodorus Siculus 16:05 09 Mar 04

click here for the Amazon one.

  Tog 16:07 09 Mar 04

A KVM switch does what you want, they aren't the only manufacturers so shop around.

click here

just as a little endorsement, I use the exact belkin product that Diodorus Siculus has linked to (although just to control the keyboard and mouse as i use three monitors for design purposes) and I would thoroughly recommend it.

it works perfectly with an XP system and 98se and there is no problem using a small convertor if you have an old AT style keyboard connector.

  Elwell 17:00 09 Mar 04

Thanks. An afterthought - the new machine will have XP and I understand I can only put this on the one machine - the other has 98. Would this be a problem?

  y_not 20:56 09 Mar 04

I also use the Belkin switch between two PC's.

One runs Win2k; the other WinXP.

As they are different PC's the variation in O/S has no effect whatsoever.

No software to load either - just tap the scroll lock button twice and the up or down arrow key once and you are on the other system - never fails.

  GaT7 23:50 09 Mar 04

[For my reference - thanks all : )]

  Elwell 09:53 10 Mar 04

I think this has solved my problem. Thanks to everyone for their help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…