two up on broadband

devlin 16:15 16 Apr 07

Hi All
Can I use two pc's on the internet at the same time on BB if so what do I need in sockey plugy cabley stuff
Dev

MAJ 16:19 16 Apr 07

Get a wireless modem/router and two USB wireless adaptors (dongles). You can then surf with each PC independently.

devlin 16:25 16 Apr 07

Hi
What I have to BUY something I thought I could get by on some old phone cable and paper clips
Seriously though do you know of a reliable make for the router and a supplier I really get a bit confused with all the technobable I would probably leave PC world with a barrow load of stuff I don't need
Dev

MAJ 16:42 16 Apr 07

There are cheaper ways of doing it, Dev, but the wireless route is the nicest and tidiest. As you mentioned PCWorld, here's some from their website, I use this Wireless Modem/Router click here Here's the dongle I mentioned click here

They can be bought cheaper, online, than those I think, but that will give you an idea of what you need. You can keep the modem/router plugged into the first PC and get away with only using one dongle, which will be plugged into the other PC, but that keeps the first PC attached to the phoneline. Your first PC will need to have an ethernet connection to get the modem/router set up, but most PCs nowadays have one.

iscanut2 16:47 16 Apr 07

Have a look at this previous thread

click here

devlin 16:49 16 Apr 07

Hi Again
Thanks Maj how can I check if I have ethernet
This computer I assembled myself as a project I was shocked to find it acually fired up as opposed to blew up I recently installed XP pro and evey thing is pretty much ok so whether or not it is ethered or not I don't know but only the lap top is wire free so do I need two dongles and a router
Ta Much Dev

devlin 16:51 16 Apr 07

Ta agian
I will read through the thread
Devlin

MAJ 16:56 16 Apr 07

Which motherboard did you use , Dev? An ethernet connection looks like this: click here it's the one marked "LAN". Don't confuse it with a dialup modem's connection, which is slightly different but looks similar.

devlin 17:13 16 Apr 07

Ah yes I'v got one of those its a MSi delta K880 from memory not a current board I know but as I say It was more an experiment than a serios attempt at building any thing near state of the art more state of the ark
o I think a router etc is on the shopping list I think Amazon do computer stuff might try there first
Thanks again Maj
Dev

MAJ 17:17 16 Apr 07

That one click here that is linked to in the thread that Nuts posted a link to, looks like good value, Dev, it's from Amazon.

MAJ 17:19 16 Apr 07

You mentioned a laptop, by the way, if it is wireless ready, then it doesn't need a dongle, it will pick up the wireless signal by itself.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…