Two B/B ISP's on same line?

emmandelo1 15:17 18 Apr 06

Can I have two Broadband providers on the same telephone line? The reason I ask is that I currently have BT Broadband but I have retained my old Wanadoo Dial Up Anytime service as a back up for the odd times that BT is down. The Wanadoo Dial Up costs me £14.99 a month and they now do a basic 1MB Broadband for the same cost. Can I upgrade my Dial Up to Broadband? Obviously I wouldn't be using both at the same time.

Totally-braindead 15:19 18 Apr 06

As far as I know, no you can't.

Aargh 15:24 18 Apr 06

Yes - just have to remember to switch connections when you connect to the internet. Just make sure your adsl modem & dial up modem are still connected to your phone line.

If you upgrade from Wanadoo dial up to Broadband, you will lose your dial up account.

If you keep your BT Broadband, you can still use the wanadoo dial up connection.

ADSL is 'always on' but is still a phone line that your dial up modem can use.

Stuartli 15:25 18 Apr 06

No, you can't have two BB services on the one line.

Secondly, you don't need to pay £14.99 a month to Wanadoo for dialup - use a PAYG version instead.

Stuartli 15:27 18 Apr 06

If you do a line test to see if you can have BB on an ISP's website and you already have BB from another provider, the check is not made as you are advised that the line is already (or about to be) activated.

emmandelo1 15:29 18 Apr 06

Just to clarify. Can I upgrade the Dial Up so as I then have BT B/B and Wanadoo B/B on the same line. I would only be using one or the other at any given time.

Aargh 15:30 18 Apr 06

Sorry!- also missed the first point! - the line is only adsl enabled and not owned by your isp - your pc obtains the account details, so you can subscribe to as many broadband suppliers as you like, as long as you select the service/connection you want to connect to, the line makes no difference..

emmandelo1 15:31 18 Apr 06

Okay, sorry. I'm a very slow typist.... Thanks for that info.

emmandelo1 15:35 18 Apr 06

Thanks Aargh, what about Stuartli's point that the line would show as already active?

Graham ® 16:46 18 Apr 06

To clarify - one line, one broadband ISP.

Totally-braindead 18:16 18 Apr 06

I was sure I was right when I said no. If you wish to go to another BB provider you have to migrate and they cannot connect you until the old provider "lets go" of the line. This is why I was certain that you couldn't have 2 BB providers on one line.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…