two anti viruses, two fire walls.....

herc182 17:43 21 Sep 04

would there be any problems having two of either? for example could i have zonealarm and sygate running at the sametime without conflicts? or avg and norton (or similar) at the same time?

cheers

VoG II 17:44 21 Sep 04

Firewalls - maybe.

Virus scanners - bad idea, they are likely to conflict.

rawprawn 17:46 21 Sep 04

It doesn't work they do not compliment each other, they create problems running together. Choose one or the other

Dorsai 18:26 21 Sep 04

What would be the point?

If one program is not very good at it's job, then running another at the same time, to plug the gaps would suggest that just running the better of the two would do the job, on it's own.

Plus there is the posability that they may conflict. I have always heard that you should not run two AV progs at once. Have never tried it. Did not want things to FUBAR. Ditto two firewall.

watchful 18:29 21 Sep 04

Two Firewalls cause problems - disable one.

herc182 19:42 21 Sep 04

i dont have two of anything but was contemplating it. was reading in the paper today (and recently) that loads of people (in the tens of thousands) get hacked each day (or was it each week.....?).

just wondering what my options were!

cheers

john-232317 20:52 21 Sep 04

What would be the point of hacking your PC ?? or do you know different ?

keith-236785 21:10 21 Sep 04

i have zonealarm protecting my system and it seems to do a good job, if i need to turn it off then windows xp firewall kicks in automatically, winxp firewall turns itself off if you install another firewall so maybe thats the way to go.

as for antivirus, one should be enough and as stated, more than one will conflict and could cause big problems.

if you have winxp with service pack2 then enable the firewall, install zonealarm and windows firewall will goto standby, turning back on if you disable zonealarm for any reason (in my case to allow the networked pc to access the internet i have to turn off zonealarm and let winxp's do the protecting.)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…