Tweaking a new computer

Trikie 22:34 31 Jan 05

Having got used to a now defunct computer that had XP Home I'm trying to get the new one - using the same XP disk- to present menus, etc in the same view format (as lists showing the file type for each entry). I now get the picture icons and have to manually change every screen to list - is there any way to do a global change?

Also new to me is a constant flow of Messenger pop-ups warning of spyware etc. Are these genuine warnings or just adverts? What is messenger useful for?

Similarly every time I go onto the internet (Blueyonder broadband) there is a pop-up asking if I want to install Macromedia Flash Player 7. What does this do and if I don't want it can I block the pop-up?

VoG II 22:36 31 Jan 05

Pop-ups click here

Technotiger 22:41 31 Jan 05

Flashplayer is ok - it enables animations in IE.

Cheers.

sidecar sid 22:42 31 Jan 05

Macromedia flash player

click here

Trikie 22:55 31 Jan 05

Thanks everyone.

I've disabled Messenger and will install Macromedia - that just leaves the Icons to List if anyone can help.

nick_j007 23:03 31 Jan 05

I have found this problem too with the 'list' issue.

I think it varies depending on how you've set up each folder.

But try Tools, Folder Options, View to get going.

HTH,

Nick

Completealias 23:19 31 Jan 05

Open a folder and set the view to the format you want for all folders ie list, details, icons etc. Then tools / folder options / view tab / click button which reads apply to all folders. Now all folders that you open will use the view you set

Trikie 23:34 31 Jan 05

Thanks Compleatealias. Perhaps you could also tell me how to get the each windows within a file to open up at full screen size so that I don't have to enlarge each one individually.

Completealias 00:12 01 Feb 05

Will have a look and get back to u in the mean time have found how to always open a prog maximised. Right click on the shortcut on the shortcut tab the run box then select maximised window

Completealias 00:12 01 Feb 05

Right click then properties sorry

Trikie 00:41 01 Feb 05

Thanks again - I'm beginning to get it all looking like the old one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now