TV without reception, only Video/dvd reception

Harry 02:34 13 Sep 06

I am looking for a TV which is only used for video and dvd viewing and no tv reception.

Unfortunately I dont know what they are called. Can someone tell me?

I am not going to need TV reception because I dont watch it and want to avoid paying the licence fee.

Thanks in advance.

BT 08:34 13 Sep 06

If you are going to use a VCR even if only to view pre recorded tapes you will still need a TV licence. This is because the VCR has a tuner so could still be used to receive TV transmissions. When you buy a VCR or TV the retailer has to inform the licensing authority of your purchase, so its not an option to try to get away with it. The TV licensing people check up on addresses that do not have a license and will send the 'boys' round to check if you don't. They don't need to use the Detector Van these days it all computerised and they know if you don't have a license, and I believe they have the right of entry to check. And of course you will still need a license for Cable or Satellite. The way you receive your TV is immaterial, the license is to operate the equipment not to receive the transmissions. Its not worth the risk after all its less than £3 a week.

Harry 09:18 13 Sep 06

I was always under the impression that you pay the licence fee if you make available bbc channels into you home for viewing. As I said I dont want to view any TV channels live or recorded. All I want to do is watch movies now and then. That is the reason I want a TV which only plays VCR and DVD. I think this type of TV equipment exists. Anyway what you said about paying the licence fee for the equipment, ie the VCR which receives the signals (but cant watch it because I dont have the " proper" TV to decrypt it), is new to me so I'll have to phone the BBC get the details. By the way, the BBC knows I dont have a TV licence since 1 year ago and have repeated sent me warnings that they will take me to court even tho I havent had a TV in my home for that period. I have told them to come to my home and check whenever they wish. I havent heard from then for a few months now. I guess they do check if I am watching TV through their mobile vans. They usually knock on the door if they are sure you are watching TV.

johnnyrocker 09:22 13 Sep 06

one can get player only vcr and the television type you are looking for is a monitor (not as in pc type) or viewing terminal, i wish you luck with it but it can be done.

johnny.

amonra 13:37 13 Sep 06

If you buy a new TV from a reputable dealer, then it's a small job for him to disconnect the supply to the tuner unit, thus making the set inoperable as regards off-air reception.
BUT ! if the TV licencing people want to be pedantic then you have a fight on your hands. Far easier in the long run to buy a licence.

Stuartli 13:44 13 Sep 06

>>I was always under the impression that you pay the licence fee if you make available bbc channels into you home for viewing>>

Just shows how wrong or misinformed you can be...:-)

Buying a TV licence actually confers the right to receive television and radio channels - the BBC channels don't enter into the equation.

The BBC, as a public corporation, is provided with a (large) proportion of the television licences revenue by the government but it is, in effect, yet another tax.

As BT points out anything that includes a television tuner and that includes computer PCI or USB stick analogue and/or digital TV cards requires ownership of a TV licence, whether you own a TV or not.

Stuartli 13:46 13 Sep 06

>>actually confers the right to receive television and radio channels>>

This should read: "...actually confers the right to receive television and radio transmissions..."

Stuartli 13:49 13 Sep 06

If you use a computer system with a DVD-ROM drive and a standard computer monitor just to watch DVDs then you won't need a TV licence providing, of course, you don't have any other equipment which contains a television tuner such as a VCR or DVD recorder.

silverous 14:00 13 Sep 06

See:

click here

It is quite old but I suspect the situation hasn't changed.

I would actually write/call them and state that you are doing this, remove any aerial and ensure the channels are all tuned to rubbish (some tvs will even pick up a signal without aerial potentially) and if you get a letter like this in response you can demonstrate that you at least considered the situation.

silverous 14:02 13 Sep 06

"As BT points out anything that includes a television tuner and that includes computer PCI or USB stick analogue and/or digital TV cards requires ownership of a TV licence, whether you own a TV or not."

I would disagree with this. As I understand it the OWNERSHIP of such equipment does not require a licence, it is the USE for RECEIVING or RECORDING channels that requires a licence.

See: click here

Extract below:

<start of extract>

Do I need a licence?

If you use a TV or any other device to receive or record TV programmes (for example, a VCR, set-top box, DVD recorder or PC with a broadcast card) - you need a TV Licence. You are required by law to have one.

<end of extract>

As the poster won't be using the device to receive or record then, as long as he can prove that, my understanding is that it is fine.

Stuartli 15:11 13 Sep 06

But it's actually proving that you are NOT going to use it for receiving transmissions that's the problem.

It's an old excuse made by many of those who are visited by TV Licensing, but they usually have to cough up the fine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced