TV USB dongle needs a good signal

kjrider 09:48 08 Mar 08

I bought a little USB dongle for my laptop, to watch freeview when I am away from home. Its work fine with one problem - the little stick antenna is not very sensitive and only my big TV antenna gives a decent signal.

Apart from carting a big TV aerial around with me, has anyone got any ideas?

KJR

Stuartli 10:03 08 Mar 08

This is a brilliant £10 portable TV aerial from Argos - works a treat with SWMBO's bedroom TV:

click here

You don't need the amplified, more expensive version; only alternative is an aerial amplifier and running the required length of coaxial cable from your main TV aerial to the Freeview dongle.

bjh 10:38 08 Mar 08

I'm no aerial expert, but my digital usb tv came with one of those poorly-straightened paperclips for an aerial - it's 12cm long, ano only any good for eating cocktail olives.

I found an old extendable aerial from a radio, attached this, and found it worked brilliantly. best reception for me is with it horizontal, and stretched out to only 25-30cm. Longer is actually worse. You might find this works as well as a bought aerial, and is certainly as compact as you can get.

HOWEVER... the hopless little olive-poker has a magnetic base. When attached to a metallic object, such as PC case, the performance of that aerial zooms up... unfortunately, no space for that on my PC box, but have you tried that? Or do have a radiator next to your machine?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now