tv usb device problem

my daughters pc had the following problem as a result of her tinkerings
click here
thanks to help on the forum it is now resolved.

The pc in question has a analogue tv card(wmd 7134 capture)but she has a usb dvb device that she would like to use for freeview etc
The problem is that when setting up,the software gets to the stage of choosing between the two tv devices,when selecting the usb it say the device is being used by another service.
The device works fine on her laptop which has no other tv device
any pointers/advice welcome

Technotiger 17:48 31 Jul 07

I have a Freecom USB DVB TV and a Hauppage WinTV2000 internal analogue card.

Both work very well, with no conflicts.

My software does not ask me to choose!

Stuartli 18:04 31 Jul 07

The USB device should be enough on its own as it should also have an analogue tuner.

In any case all the five terrestial channels are transmitted on Freeview.

Stuartli 18:05 31 Jul 07

(...if it's a hybrid Freeview USB stick).

Hi thanks for replys
do you think uninstalling the analogue hardware and software would solve it?
ive tried disabling the tv card in device manager plus uninstalling the software but this hasnt worked.
Im still getting the message the device is being used by another application

Technotiger 19:12 31 Jul 07

Uninstallation might solve it for you. I have never used the Hauppage TV card since connecting my USB TV stick.

As Stuartli says, the USB stick includes all the analogue channels anyway.

Stuartli 19:16 31 Jul 07

If you just Uninstall the device and software in Device Manager, it will be reinstalled the next time you boot up.

Take the analogue card out and Remove the software - both will be useless in any case once your local TV transmitter goes fully digital..:-)

Technotiger 19:20 31 Jul 07

I'm with Stuartli, I should have added - also remove the TV card hardware.

After doing so, it would be a good idea also to run CCleaner to get rid of any left-overs.

thanks guys,

i will do as suggested and post back

Hi removed hardware and software from old device,still getting message that device is in use by another application.
any further pointers?

Stuartli 16:00 27 Sep 07

You need to install the drivers and software for the USB TV stick before connecting it - you will most likely be prompted to connect the device when necessary.

My Freeview TV card is a PCI version and I can use it with its BDA drivers and software issued by the manufacturer; however, I normally use it with ShowShifter because it's superior to the manufacturer's equivalent software (the BDA drivers are the same for both software versions).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant