TV Tuner Question

gplatt2000 16:34 12 Apr 04

Hi all! I am thinking of buying a TFT monitor, and a tv tuner to go with it. I have found the following tuner - click here . Howver, what I want to know is this - does this product enable me to use my monitor as a TV, WITHOUT the computer itself being switched on? (I have tried emailing Dabs but they have said I should be able to find out from the info given on the website, or contact the manufacturer directly - the manufacturer which apperas to be them! lol) Anyway hopefully one of you may have had experience with this card, or be able to make sense of the specifications.

Thanks a lot for any halep

gplatt2000 17:53 12 Apr 04

On a simlar subject......

I have found this monitor, which to me seems like a good rpice for everything i want - click here . but what I would like to know is, do you think this monitor could be wall mounted (ie. just hung on the wall, without its mount)?

Thanks again

gplatt2000 20:23 12 Apr 04

'bump'

Graham ® 20:44 12 Apr 04

I have one of these, Widescreen TV with teletext, PC monitor click here

gplatt2000 20:57 12 Apr 04

Although very nice, that's a bit too expensive for me - Im only looking for a 15", for no more that £300, including a TV tuner (weather built in or bought seperately). Which is why Im looking at seperate TV tuners, thinking that way I can buy that plus a cheapish monitor for less then a Moinotr with unbuilt Tv tuner.

Again, any suggestions for tuners or monitors would be excellent, and also any comments on the tv tuner in my 1st post. Cheers

TBH1 23:54 12 Apr 04

Aldis' (that name again !!) had a 15"TFT monitor/tv for £299 some weeks ago - - -and this would works as a stand alone TV and a monitor - - -however, if your thinking of buying a TFT screen and a separate TV card, your gonna have to run it from your PC mate - - or mhave I mis-read the question ???? I'll get me coat - - -

gplatt2000 14:22 13 Apr 04

lol. Yeah thats what I was thinking about if I got a normal TV Tuner card - but i thought maybe cos the one in my first post is external, it wouldnt need to be run from the PC?

By the way I got a reply from Dabs, but appartently their 'company policy is not to give pre-sales advice' :S.

Any ideas as to weather or not the monitor in my 2nd post could be wall mounted? Is it a general, universal thing that they can be?

Thanks again everyone

Stuartli 14:28 13 Apr 04

You can buy TFT monitors with and without a built-in TV tuner; some TFT TVs can also be used as a computer monitor.

Graham ®'s set is an example of one with a built-in tuner, but there are cheaper examples around these days in that screen size.

Dabs isn't the manufacturer, it just rebadges a known manufacturer's products under its own name; it's a very common practice for many types of products.

Stuartli 14:36 13 Apr 04

Mitec had a 15in TFT monitor with tuner for £249 at the end of last year but I think it's gone up in price now.

Argos has the Samsung 510 at £299.99:

click here

gplatt2000 17:19 13 Apr 04

yer the SAmsung is one I was looking at earlier, seems very nice - do you think it could be wall mounted? But thats when I found the one in my above post (click here) which seems to be OK, and for a lower pice - but I just need to know for sure if it can be wall-mounted

Stuartli 10:57 14 Apr 04

It doesn't appear to be so

click here

but I would have thought a suitable wall mounting stand would be available as it's a fairly common use for such monitors.

Re the external tuner from dabs - it would seem pretty certain that your system would have to be switched on as it's a plug 'n play device, whilst the monitor would also require a signal.

Re the Vizitron monitor - never heard of this make, whereas Samsung is a renowned brand and, in the event of future need for repairs etc, it would be easy to find a suitable outlet.

So I would, if at all possible, avoid the Direction/Vizitron (these are the names it is produced under) model and stick with reliable, quality brand names.

The small price saving doesn't warrant the risk of buying a monitor which may prove difficult to repair or find spare parts for in the future.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac