TV tuner problem with XP Media Center sp3 - no sou

Tatt 15:20 24 Apr 09

Can anyone help? My PC is a 4 year old Packard Bell now loaded with XP media center edition SP3. It has a 2.93ghz processer and 1.5gb RAM. The factory original spec was as above, but with XP home edition and only 1 gb of RAM until the upgrades last year.

My problem, is that prior to the upgrades my Hauppage win tv 2000 USB tuner worked perfectly. But since the upgrade to media center edition I cannot get the device to scan for channels and in fact, when I try to start a scan manually, I just get the message that states the program has encountered a problem and needs to close.

I figured that all was not lost and I'd use the Hauppage tuner just to provide media center with a TV signal and use the media center Live TV application for viewing instead of the Hauppage device. Media center searched and found all available digital TV stations and the picture was nigh on perfect. However, there is no sound! At this point you should mote that ALL other applications that provide sound work perfectly, it is just the TV via media center that is a problem. I have searched for updated drivers for the Hauppage device and I am informed that the current drivers are up to date.

I am not bothered which of the two I applications I end up using, just to get one working would be nice, Any ideas?

john bunyan 16:26 24 Apr 09

I had a problem after a clean reinstall of XP Media Centre edition - could not find tuner. This was solved by ensuring all .NET Framework files were up to date.(Latest is .NET Framework 3.3 SP3)
I had a further problem after update to SP3 for XP - had to uninstall it, then download it to desktop, then reinstall in safe mode (I think antivirus or firewall interfered in some way. Happuage tech support on the phone were good.and they also sent a patch by e mail.
I will try to find links, but suggest you look at the above.

john bunyan 16:33 24 Apr 09

Here is my earlier post: I had problems with the auto install of SP3 with AVG and Commodo running. My TV in my MCE2005 stopped working. Had to :1. Uninstall SP3. 2. Dowload to desktop but not run SP3 from the developers website.3 Uninstall AVG and Commodo .4 disconnect from internet. 5. Install Sp3 in safe mode. 6. Install AVG and Commodo. Reconnect to internet. Update. It worked

john bunyan 16:40 24 Apr 09

Not sure, having re -read the first part of your post, if you actually have the XP Media Centre Edition software? Mine came installed with a back up CD(s) from Evesham about 3 years ago. I thought MCE was only available as a built in option. You can install tuners etc, but they I thought , work wit Win TV, not MCE. Does your MCE work for other things - DVD's etc?

Tatt 17:03 24 Apr 09

John, Thanks for replies. Yes I do have XP media center software. I think I am close to resolving this issue. However, my intermediate knowledge with PC's is my achilles heal and in fact, because of that I may be miles off.

john bunyan 18:38 24 Apr 09

Hope you solve it - do let us know how; I found Happuage tech people helpful on a normal London phone no.

Tatt 18:55 24 Apr 09

Thanks John, I'll give them a call and I'll let you know the outcome.

Tatt 15:52 25 Apr 09

John, Downloaded a bundle of codecs and sorted media center side of the problem. I now have pictures with sound!. Will contact Hauppauge next week and sort that one out too. Will let you know the final outcome.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…