TV remote control

chrischambers 23:01 04 Sep 06

I have a lap top with IR on it. Is there any software that I can control my tv with? I am running XP.
Thanks

johnnyrocker 23:50 04 Sep 06

a bit more of an explanation would help has your tv not got a remote?

johnny.

josie mayhem 23:50 04 Sep 06

Can you expand a little please?

Do you have a TV card in your laptop and what Make is it?

IR could mean that you can connect your mobile if it has IR and software is loaded....

But the important thing at the moment is what tv card have you got on your computer?

Gemma 14:09 05 Sep 06

Your laptop has IRDA (Infrared Data Association) support. This is different from TV remote control and not compatible.

chrischambers 14:14 05 Sep 06

thanks.

woodchip 14:21 05 Sep 06

Laptop only receives IR, not send

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:24 05 Sep 06

woodchip
Laptop should also send IR, as used to copy info to and from another laptop and to /from a phone.

chrischambers
The problem with internalized FIR/IRDA ports on both laptops and Palm devices is that they tend to be either vastly underpowered or using an unfocused beam when compared to TV remotes. The range seems to be lackluster, as the ports are more often designed for use for a connection that's just within a couple of feet, without the inconvenience of wires.

A bigger problem is that IrDA is a specific protocol (set of protocols, really), and it's really unlikely that your TV remote is speaking IrDA. There are a few common de-facto-standard IR remote protocols, but a lot of them are just hacked-together ad-hoc things. It's not impossible that the particular IR hardware in your laptop is flexible enough to speak whatever your TV is expecting, but it's not guaranteed, either.

click here

woodchip 18:23 05 Sep 06

A Cheap Remote £5 would be better

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…