tv on the pc....is my computer upto it??

Superstylin 19:46 17 Jun 05

hi there, i'm considering getting a tuner card to watch digital/terrestial tv on my pc. what i want to know is, will my pc be able to take it?!

i have a compaq presario 6250EA:
*intel celeron 1.7ghz
*integrated intel extreme graphics (driver:6.14.10.3732)
*760mb ram
*winxp home

Superstylin 19:48 17 Jun 05

d'oh!

bjh 20:28 17 Jun 05

Yep, should be fine (with, in my case, Pinnacle PCTV or Compro videomate), but you will struggle to do video capture or even use it as a PVR. Even then, it should work if you don't tax it too hard. Digital does use more resources, but not overly so.

BUT, if you go down the USB route, resources ceases to be such a problem. I've happily run one on a Pentium III 500.

Before buying, wait for a few more views, but I vote it'll work fine.

Best luck

Superstylin 20:35 17 Jun 05

i didn't relaise usb tv devices used less resources. if it's true then i'll definitely consider that instead of a card. althoug i assume they're gonna a bit more expensive? i'll go have a browse about now for price ideas....

i don't plan on using it for recording purposes so resources will be better on that score but i do plan on running it while using the pc for other things, ie browsing the net. i was concerned at my integrated graphics as it's capacity is altered depending on whatever else you're using your pc for

anyhoo. like you advise, i'll wait for other suggestions, thanks again

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:36 17 Jun 05

Pinnacle PCTV runs fine on a 1.2 athlon 512mb mem 64mb graphics card although never tried to edit video.

john-232317 20:42 17 Jun 05

I used to run an ATI allinwonder tv card on an AMD K6 400, no problems at all.

Superstylin 20:52 17 Jun 05

on cheap usb dvb devices then? i'll have a look around but just incase any of you are particularly in the know!

dan11 20:57 17 Jun 05

I may be looking for one soon, for a friend. just to add to my postings.;-)

These may help you,and your pc will cope fine at those specs.click here

click here

Superstylin 21:10 17 Jun 05

thanks [email protected]@ that's a great list of well priced devices. thankyou!

Superstylin 21:16 17 Jun 05

what kind of aerial do you all use? anyone successfully receive digital with and indoor receiver? i know this might depend on the signal in your area but just gimme some hope :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…