TV out query

Rich509a 16:37 15 Feb 05

I wonder if any one can help? My Grandad is in his eighties and a keen user of his PC. However, due to his age, the monitor can put a strain on his eyes and be uncomfortable after a period of time staring at it.

I think it would be far better if he could sit back in his armchair with his cordless mouse and keyboard, surfing away looking at his TV. But, what is the best way of doing this? His graphics card has a TV out socket that could run direct to the TV. Is this a good quality option or just a cheap gimmick thrown in with the card? Are there separate cards around that do the job any better? Or is there an even better option?

Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers in advance.

spikeychris 16:40 15 Feb 05

Ins and outs click here

LeadingMNMs 16:48 15 Feb 05

I've only tried connecting a TV to the computer once via a TV / S-Video cable, but the results I achieved were particularly poor. Alot will also depend on the the TV and its size, though it will work more or less like a monitor.

The strain on the eyes is probably caused by the resolution being too high and the refresh rate being low. This should not be a problem with a TFT, and so maybe a decent sized TFT monitor is whats called for.

If you already have the cable then test whether the results are desirable first, but I think that you'd be better off getting a better monitor.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:49 15 Feb 05

The Picture quality on a TV is actuually alot worse than that on the monitor especialy for text.
Therefore it starins the eyes more to use TV than a monitor.

TFT monitors are less strain on the eyes than the CRT monitors.

However we are all guilty of not taking enogh "breaks" when using the PC.

For eyes the recommended method is to look away at least every 4 minutes and focus on something at least twice the distance from the monitor.

Rich509a 16:58 15 Feb 05

Already tried that. Bought him a good quality TFT with his computer. I suppose I just wanted a really big picture, that's all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now