TV with NOTEBOOK

Kibo Kid 19:29 04 Jun 05

I have a Toshiba Portege M200 Notebook with Windows XP Pro Tablet Edition, although I use it mostly in notebook mode. RAM is 1 Gb, HHD is 60 Gb, CPU is Centrino 1.8.

I want to be able to watch or record TV, using a USB2 device, eg Hauppage. What devices are recommended? Would I be able to use the device elsewhere in Europe, or just in the UK?

My home TV also has Sky, connected by dish. How do I connect to the notebook? Splitter? Would this only work for terrestial TV?

Any forums or other web places that would guide me?

Thanks,

Kibo Kid

Graham ® 20:23 04 Jun 05

Terrestrial TV in the UK is different to the rest of Europe, so a TV card for the UK will not work in Europe.

Your Sky box will have RF out, a TV card will see it as a terrestrial channel. You could then view Sky broadcasts and terrestrial TV. A remote control could also be used with this set-up.

Kibo Kid 20:44 04 Jun 05

Thanks for feedback, I guessed Europe might be a problem, but your feedback indicates I will be able to connect my notebook to the RF socket on the Sky Box.

Can one record sound only using such a card?

Do you recommend any particular device? The Hauppage WinTV-PVR USB2 looks a good option.

Regards,

Kibo Kid

Graham ® 21:03 04 Jun 05

If you mean record Sky radio channels, I guess you would have to record as normal, except the picture wouldn't change much.

I can't recommend any, I'm afraid. All the ones I tried caused problems on different PCs, so my TV is now part of the monitor, not the PC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…