TV with NOTEBOOK

Kibo Kid 19:29 04 Jun 05

I have a Toshiba Portege M200 Notebook with Windows XP Pro Tablet Edition, although I use it mostly in notebook mode. RAM is 1 Gb, HHD is 60 Gb, CPU is Centrino 1.8.

I want to be able to watch or record TV, using a USB2 device, eg Hauppage. What devices are recommended? Would I be able to use the device elsewhere in Europe, or just in the UK?

My home TV also has Sky, connected by dish. How do I connect to the notebook? Splitter? Would this only work for terrestial TV?

Any forums or other web places that would guide me?

Thanks,

Kibo Kid

Graham ® 20:23 04 Jun 05

Terrestrial TV in the UK is different to the rest of Europe, so a TV card for the UK will not work in Europe.

Your Sky box will have RF out, a TV card will see it as a terrestrial channel. You could then view Sky broadcasts and terrestrial TV. A remote control could also be used with this set-up.

Kibo Kid 20:44 04 Jun 05

Thanks for feedback, I guessed Europe might be a problem, but your feedback indicates I will be able to connect my notebook to the RF socket on the Sky Box.

Can one record sound only using such a card?

Do you recommend any particular device? The Hauppage WinTV-PVR USB2 looks a good option.

Regards,

Kibo Kid

Graham ® 21:03 04 Jun 05

If you mean record Sky radio channels, I guess you would have to record as normal, except the picture wouldn't change much.

I can't recommend any, I'm afraid. All the ones I tried caused problems on different PCs, so my TV is now part of the monitor, not the PC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Acer Predator Triton 700 review

D&AD Awards 2017: see the best design, advertising, illustration, animation and VR of the past year

How to lose weight with an Apple Watch