TV as monitor

walterr 07:29 06 Jun 04

Can a digital tv be used as a computer monitor?

Demora 08:58 06 Jun 04

If you have a tv out on the graphics card I think its possible. Try it.

Demora

Gongoozler 09:28 06 Jun 04

If it can be done, it's unlikely to be very successful because the resolution of broadcast tv is way below that of a computer monitor, hence the awful blockiness of tv text.

Stuartli 10:04 06 Jun 04

Many of the new TFT/LCD televisions can readily be used as a monitor, in fact some are advertised as being suitable for both purposes.

The best way to find out if your digital TV can be used as a monitor is to check out the input choices and link to your graphics card.

It may prove successful or, on the other hand, it may reveal a screen display that's not suitable.

Stuartli 10:10 06 Jun 04

People who have Freeview digital terrestial TV set top boxes often comment on "how good" the picture and sound quality is, but fail to realise that there's no difference from standard TV transmissions.

A Freeview box, after receiving digital signals, converts them back to analogue in order to display pictures and sound.

BIG ben strikes 10 10:32 06 Jun 04

i have a digifusion box (which is a "free to view" box the picture is fine but i notice its a lot blury and when you turn the sharpness of it up it makes it go fuzzy.but hey it was quite cheap.i also get kerrang which im not supposed to get.theres no picture just sound.

Totally-braindead 12:20 06 Jun 04

I tried using a TV as a second display about a year ago using the TV out on my grapgics card and it was a pretty poor picture. However you are talking about using a digital TV so maybe that would be better.

jack 13:59 06 Jun 04

As stuartli says Didigtal signals is just that
signals the final display on TV is analogue
and very low rez to boot.
Monitors are different animals - but still analogue

Stuartli 15:01 06 Jun 04

As it's a digital radio station I'm not surprised, although you should get some text up on screen whilst listening.

My Freeview pix and sound are excellent and match the terrestial equivalents, even though it's one of the (superb) Pioneer DTR210GB ITVDigital set top boxes and doesn't use the latest Freeview software, only the original ON/ITVDigital version that has been updated a little by the new transmission company.

jack

The resolution is the standard 625 lines and, for normal viewing, is perfectly adequate providing you sit a normal distance from the screen (the distance also depends on actual screen size).

But as far as using a TV as a monitor it is generally not a feasible prospect - a monitor operates in progressive rather than interlaced mode.

click here

This same website's home page:

click here

has a wealth of articles/links on anything and everything to do with TV or monitor graphics, cables, connectors, data communications, computer ports and sockets, how to hook up various combinations of hardware etc.

It's well worth bookmarking for anyone who needs to find out such information.

If you want to read up about digital TV/monitors and the differences between the various systems etc, go to:

click here

click here

click here

Charence 17:12 06 Jun 04

If the resolution is high enough and the appropriate input sockets are available, you can use TV as monitor.

Charence

Stuartli 10:23 07 Jun 04

Yes, but only if the manufacturer states that a TV set is intended for use as a TV and/or monitor.

Otherwise the screen display may prove unsuitable, especially with regard to text.

A TV set and a monitor are designed to reproduce a display for different purposes - just try looking at a basic television set from the same distance as your monitor and find out how uncomfortable it proves, particularly as the refresh rate is even less than a monitor's minimum setting (usually 60MHz).

A monitor figure of 85MHz refresh rate is required to ensure absence of flicker for almost 100 per cent of the population.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…