A TV As A Monitor?

dublincity 01:19 19 Nov 03

A pal of mine was reminiscing about how, more than 30 years ago, he hooked up his then computer to his TV which he used as a monitor. I have a spare PC plus all etceteras except a monitor and have been given two newish TV sets. Does anybody know if I could use a TV as a monitor and if so, how? Many Thanks.

you can do it if your computer has a TV out,
its ok to play games and watch DVD's on a TV
but other things like web browsing, W.P is a bit of a pain, you would be better off buying a cheap monitor.

rent-a-cop 04:34 19 Nov 03

A tv just doesn't have the resolution to act as a pc monitor. A second hand basic monitor can be had for around 30 quid from your local yellow paper.

Stuartli 08:15 19 Nov 03

Apart from the problem of reading text on a TV set, the refresh rate is far lower than a true monitor's capabilities and you will be likely to suffer from on-screen flickering.

As rent-a-cop rightly points out, secondhand monitors are dirt cheap from a wide variety of outlets (many of the monitors are from top brand names); even a new 17in monitor costs well under £100 these days.

The only practical solution to having a TV/monitor setup is to look at one of the latest TFT sets which are designed to achieve both functions.

But they are not cheap and you may have to search around to find one, although prices are coming down apace.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…