Tv Cards

Muckleface 23:05 24 Mar 03

Hi!

Can anyone reccomend a good tv card with all the usual options?

Jordan

Giggle n' Bits 23:14 24 Mar 03

Only thing is I know a little more.

There are 2 ways for TV on a computer well 3 but the main two are either a high end AGP Graphics card with a Tuner Built in like a Hercules 3D Prophet All-in-wonder 9000 Pro (Around £200 mark)

Or a seprate but cheaper route one of the Hauppauge WinTV PCI say model 747 which has Nicam, FM, Text & remote. (£72 ish)

I am now trying to find out how the card puts the picture onto the acutall monitor. Is this done by a link cable if using a Hauppague card to the AGP graphics card or does it channel its data through the actual PCI slot to come with a pic on the Screen.

The better quality the AGP card I expect will also make a difference, and also processing power & memory.

SJP 23:23 24 Mar 03

Hauppauge WinTV PCI is a good card to use. Connects via the PCI slot, only cables to connect are the aerial and the link to the sound card (cable should be included in the box).
Installation easy, and watching TV when using PC is great.

Good Luck

Patr100 23:31 24 Mar 03

"The better quality the AGP card I expect will also make a difference, and also processing power & memory. "
Actually the cheaper TV cards can produce a reasonable picture - you tend to pay more for other extras such as inputs but processing power and memory don't really affect picture quality - the aerial signal strength is more likely to as with any TV . But if you intend to capture footage then more disk space etc will help but for simple TV watching as mentioned the WINTV PCI will do the job for around £40.

Duggy60 17:49 27 Mar 03

I've just purchased a Packard Bell TV card from PC World for £50 and it works great and you get Teletext to boot.

Patr100 17:58 27 Mar 03

The Avermedia from QVC has got some good reviews for around £45 from click here

You can send it back within 30 days if not completely happy - no questions.

lixdexik 20:05 27 Mar 03

It seems good enough for me. It is handy if the kids want to watch tv while we are entertaining friends.

it boasts realtime mpeg 1&2 record & playback. Time schedular, remote control and time shifting so you can watch the beginning of a prog that you are recording and still record the rest of it. system requirements are...win98se upwards inc xp.500mhz pentium 2 or equiv, 64mg ram. 10mb hdd space.200mb hdd space for timeshift buffer.
hope this helps. cheers Lixdexik.

Bacon & Eggs 20:13 27 Mar 03

I have the Leadtek Win TV 2000 XP something...

Excellent picture quality in fullscreen, video recording (mpeg-2), remote control click here for info; also includes an excellent FM radio.

No teletext included though - although if you have broadband you have no need of teletext on your PC of course...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…