TV-card causes spontaneous restart?!?

Ellie3009 17:32 25 Feb 03

My pc has developed the rather annoying habit of spontaneously restarting, or freezing to the point where even ctrl/alt/del doesn't work!

I believe the cause to be the recently installed Hauppauge TV card, since it only happens when I use either the software (wintv2k) or the remote to change channel.
What other programs, or how many other windows I have running appears to make no difference
I am running win 98se, and it reports no conflicts in the controlpanel/system/device manager window.

Can anyone suggest what could be causing it to do this (known conflicts?) or what I could do to stop it? (Without removing the tv-card that is!)
Thanks in advance :o)

graham 17:45 25 Feb 03

Take it back! They're nowt but trouble! I've tried three different types and they all did what you describe, plus one of them blew two hard drives. I know others will say 'impossible', but after uninstalling it I've had no problems.

Ellie3009 18:28 25 Feb 03

Thanks, but I said solutions WITHOUT removing the card :o)

MAJ 18:32 25 Feb 03

That's you guys told, oooops, think I'll leave this one.

AMD 4 ever 18:36 25 Feb 03

Look for any update drivers, especially for your sound n happauge cards.
what is your spec?

Ellie3009 13:31 26 Feb 03

The spec...
Okay, its running win 98se.
The tv card is a Happauge win-tv pci card.
Graphics AGP Riva TNT2 32mb
Sound - soundblaster live 1024

Motherboard - MSI MS6167
10GB HDD (of which 6 GB still free)
192 MB ram
CPU = Athlon 600mhz.

I have downloaded the beta version of some hauppague drivers which claim to solve some lock-up issues, so I shall install them and see...

In the meantime, further suggestions gratefully received!

Ellie3009 16:24 26 Feb 03

The new drivers are installed, and it hasn't crashed yet (after about 30 mins) so fingers crossed that it stays this way :o)
I'll tick it resolved and post again if it all goes pear-shaped!

AMD 4 ever 20:54 26 Feb 03

Good glad all is ok?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…