TV Capture Card

stylehurst 14:32 09 Aug 04

I am looking to install a TV capture card to enable me to copy some VHS tapes to DVD before the tapes deterirate further.
The choice has narrowed to either Dazzle 150 or Pinnacle Movie Box.
Has anybody experience of either of these packages and views on them.
PC is running W2K, is 2.8 Intel. I will increase the RAM to 1GB, and install a second HDD. PC already has both USB2 & Firewire ports

pj123 15:15 09 Aug 04

I use Dazzle Fusion USB capture device and it works perfect. It came with Pinnacle Studio but I had so many sound sync problems, so I don't use pinnacle anymore. Instead I bought Sonic MyDVD and have had no more sync problems ever since. Sonic MyDVD can be downloaded from click here

it cost about £37 but believe me it is worth it.

pj123 15:20 09 Aug 04

You could also check out this site if you don't want to do the transfer yourself. click here they charge £10 plus postage per video tape and transfer to DVD. Ask them for thier brochure.

SEASHANTY 15:25 09 Aug 04

Probably be a lot easier (and quicker - because itin real time) to purchase a cheap standalone DVD recorder. To record VHS to DVD then all you need is a scart lead from your VCR to DVD recorder. Prices
are now falling rapidly and the Panasonic DMR-E55 is
now available for £208
click here
Or doing it the hard way checkout this forum
click here
click here

pj123 15:52 09 Aug 04

SEASHANTY, yes I agree with you. I have found that transferring a 3 hour VHS tape via a capture device on the PC takes at least 7 hours. I am now looking at buying a standalone DVD recorder and the cheapest I have seen is the Philips at Makro for £168. But my PC DVD recorder is multi format ie. -r +r and ram and -rw and +rw. Most standalone DVD recorders are either one or the other. A standalone also needs to be multi region as well as multi format, which means we start talking money.

SEASHANTY 16:33 09 Aug 04

The DMR-E55, Multi region modified and including
free delivery (usually within 48 hours) is avaialble from Digital-Point, Birmingham, for £210. I do not see why it is an absolute neccessity to have both + and - formats. Panasonics are only DVD-R but they do have the excellent DVD-RAM capability. I have the
multi-format (and RAM) LG GSA 4040B drive which is still in the box as I have found no need to use. Have so far transferred around 40 VHS tapes to DVD-R
using the Panasonic in real time. Find that music
progs recorded from ATV in 1982 have held their quality far better than some of the VHS tapes recorded in the late 90's. Just shows that the VHS tape quality has also become worse as it gets cheaper - usually showing as black streak marks on the video. Digital-Point click here Click on the model illustration for info.

SEASHANTY 19:25 09 Aug 04

That Digital-point link I gave above doesn't work using Mozilla browser so try again with this one
click here
I purchased my DMR-E85EBS from this firm for £450.
It's now £429-74. Ordered Sunday evening and delivered Tuesday at 1 p.m. What an excellent firm
D.P. are.

SEASHANTY 19:31 09 Aug 04

....and that link does not work either. They are using Microsoft I.E.6 drivers for the website. So try a tiny url for the main home page and click on
dvd players click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…