Tutorial on transfer of info to new PC?

lexxy_703 13:13 26 Jan 07

is there such a thing?

i have a new base unit & am keeping all my original keyboard, monitor, printer etc.

i 'think' i need to -

old pc:
drag & drop all files on to my removable HDD,
un-install all programs that i have the original discs for & will be using on new pc

new pc:
install progams from discs,
install drivers as necessary,
drag & drop files from my removable HDD.

any assistance would be gratefully received but please keep it simple (just like me!)

thanks

Technotiger 14:13 26 Jan 07

This might help ...

click here

lexxy_703 14:25 26 Jan 07

i should have said - it will be win98se to xp - so i can't use the xp wizard BUT it does help me know what to look for to transfer, i think?!

thanks

Technotiger 14:56 26 Jan 07

Some more info ...

click here

lexxy_703 14:56 26 Jan 07

i think i'm getting this a bit muddled! i've just re-read the info on the xp transfer wizard & it seems i can you use it (put xp disc in my old pc, tell it relevant info then put in my new pc). presumably i have to connect up the new pc & install xp before i transfer anything?

if this is the case, will i get into a mess with inly 1 keyboard, monitor etc? i'll have to connect up everything to new, install xp, disconnect & hook back up to old, use transfer wizard, disconnect again & reconnect at new??

sorry for the simple questions...

Technotiger 16:16 26 Jan 07

Hmmm, to save all that to-ing and fro-ing, it might be better to do as you originally planned, which does look quite feasable.

VoG II 17:37 26 Jan 07
  lexxy_703 00:36 27 Jan 07

on checking my new pc, it's already got xp installed so i should be able to use the wizard ok without too much hassle.

thanks for the help TechnoTiger & VoG - keep your fingers crossed for me later today when i attempt it...! ;-)

lexxy_703 18:44 28 Jan 07

well, it took me a couple of hours (more down to me than the pc!), but all transfered, set up & running at warp speed!!

thanks again for the help guys - sure i'll be back soon asking more questions... ;-)

Technotiger 19:06 28 Jan 07

Grrreat, thanks for the feedback.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now