Turntable to soundcard cable

nicktoeman 13:08 16 Nov 05

I wish to transfer my LPs to CD. All methods I have seen assume that the turntable (or amp) has a pair of phono outputs that I can connect with a suitable cable to the sound card (possibly via a pre-amp). However my recently acquired Dual 504 turntable has a 5-pin DIN output and I have not found a suitable interconnect cable. Can anyone help? (I would go via my amplier except that it has no DIN input either).
I am prepared to get stuck in with soldering iron and plugs/sockets if necessary but don't know what I am doing.

recap 13:21 16 Nov 05

Maplins may have what you require click here to find out more.

phil46 13:22 16 Nov 05

Try a ADS Instant music available from QVC product number 553-108 £15.45.
I don't know if it will work with a magnetic cartridge but you can always send it back.

Sirpad 13:43 16 Nov 05

Check this site out click here

I found it quite helpful.

woodchip 13:44 16 Nov 05

If you go to Electronics shop they can make one up for you Din to Mini Stereo jack plug. This plugs into line in socket

nicktoeman 13:55 16 Nov 05

Thanks for your replies guys.
Recap: I already have a lead for 5-pin DIN to 4 phono plugs from Maplin but am not sure which pair of plugs might simply give me left and right channels - the others also carry signals (possibly mono?) and the most likey pair generate very quiet input to my amp. Basically I don't understand what the four outputs are. There is a Maplin cable for 5-pin DIN to 2 x 3.5 headphone-type jacks but this doesn't seem to take me further forward as I still have double the number of signal leads than I want.
Phil: I have found ADS Instant Video (554134) but not the item you suggest. I wonder if it is still available.
Any more ideas? Thanks.

Skyver 13:59 16 Nov 05

That's probably a cassette deck lead for tape record/play on older hifi's - either way you will get a stereo signal out of two plugs, and nothing from the others - get a multi meter on them. One of these pinout diagrams may match; click here

woodchip 14:00 16 Nov 05

You need to get them down to mini Jack, Which way do you want sound to go? to Comp or to Stereo

Skyver 14:03 16 Nov 05

Sorry, not reading carefully enough. If you don't mind soldering you could chop the two output phonos and solder to a stereo 3.5 jack.

DieSse 14:31 16 Nov 05

I would have thought the output comes direct from the cartridge on these turntables - in which case the output would not be suitable for feeding into a sound card.

It's likely to be to low a level, and unequalised - ie the frequency range will be out of balance - too much high frequency and too little low frequency - see here click here

Unless it's already fitted, you will need a cartridge pre-amplifier to correct this.

DieSse 14:32 16 Nov 05

OR - use the cartridge input on your hi-fi amp - and the line output to the sound card.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…