//some 3rd party need geo

Turning Off or Disabling AVG 7

jack 09:23 09 Jun 05

A software being installed is most emphatic that
A/V protection is disabled whilst installing.
With Norton et al I recall these was a 'disable' button

I have not discovered the same with AVG7

The Control Centre gives the option to exit trhe program, and comes up with the the usual 'you won't'
warning - is this sufficent or does one have to uninstall?

dagwoood 11:33 09 Jun 05

jack, if you quit the AVG control centre, AVG is still scanning your system. All this option does is remove the AVG icon in your notification area so as you don't have access to the control centre.

When installing s/w, I disable AVG by opening the control centre, double click on the "Resident Shield" box and untick "Scan Program Files" and "Scan Documents". You'll then get a pop-up saying that "Residential shield is loaded but is not fully functional".(If you're using XP SP2 and the security centre is configured to monitor your anti-virus status, you'll get a pop-up warning from this as well).

Doing this stops AVG scanning executables, which is what you want when installing s/w.

I do this when installing any s/w, and have never had any problems.

Don't forget to turn it back on after you've installed you s/w.

HTH, dagwoood.

brambles 14:20 09 Jun 05

Right Click on AVG Icon in bottom toolbar. Bottom right on my computer. You have then the option of quitting AVG this is only temporary I know but several procedures request disabling virus programme first.

Brambles

p;3 14:26 09 Jun 05

bookmarking (after my own hassles with the scanner)

dagwoood 16:15 09 Jun 05

What you suggest only disables accessing the control centre, AVG is still actively scanning your system.

jack 17:44 09 Jun 05

Thank you all
for thosae instructions

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…